Wire heated grips to igintion- how easy?

Foxy Stoat seeks Pig

I have heated grips installed which have wired directly to the battery. Which of course means that i know at some point i'm going to leave them on/accidently knock the switch and come back to the car park and find i have a flat battery OR some tool is going to switch them on 'for a laugh'.

So is there a way to easily wire these to the ignition, reading up it seems i need a relay and a live wire, possibly the tail light? Willing to have a crack myself if its fairly straightfoward.

:)

Had my father do mine as he is qualified electrician and i hate electrics.

But i had mine done the same way. Afraid i can't explain how it is done, but it's do-able!

Think mine actually came off the horn as it was easier to access.

Loads of topics about this. Yes... its fairly easy, as long as you can find an accessible switched live. I think I was using the side light on my CBF which was accessible where I would be placing the rest of the wiring. Its best to use relay as you have stated so that you supply your own power through dedicated cables.

The strom was easier as there are actually dedicated points to connect to which are already switched.

The oxford ones have a 'power save' mode anyway. So they automatically turn off if you forget if they feel the battery gets to low, or they cant feel/hear (?!?!) engine noise/vibration. On the two pairs I have tested, they seem to work.

Very simply, this

https://wardiesworld.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/circuit_grips.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://images.mcn.bauercdn.com/forumgallery/7/691707/168169_514582.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Made the mistake of wiring my first set of grips directly to the battery. I altered the wiring after leaving them on not once but TWICE !!

Fairly simple process. Remove the live supply feeding the grips fuse holder from the battery and connect it to a switched live going into the back of the fusebox. To find the live side of the fuse in the fusebox, remove the fuse and check for 12v with a meter or small 12v bulb with the ignition on. Headlight fuse is a good one to aim for. There's no point wiring to the load/out side of the fusebox fuse as your grips will have their own one and you would then need to uprate the fuse in the fusebox to accommodate the extra load. Depending on the bike, there might even be an accessory connector for exactly this type of purpose (if you can find it !) that you could use instead. Never faffed around with a relay, overcomplicated for what's probably no more than a 3A current draw.

The additional load should be negligible to cause any problems overloading the switching contacts of the ignition switch.

Fit a relay: Cheap, safe and easy to do. No worries about overloading any circuit, or getting a flat battery.

Also, for even better 'safety', fit an in-line fuse to the (relay switched) feed from the battery (fuse rating dependant on maximum load of your heated grips and/or other accessories).

If you want a wiring diagram and parts list, PM me your email and I'll 'ping' you one.

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, so it happened.....got out of work and flat battery. three hours later I get home. Of all the days to forget my phone as well, wife was very worried. God bless the biker parked next to me who lent his phone to the RAC.

You didn't use a relay then?..... :shock:

No, haven't done anything to it yet. So very annoyed with myself yesterday, although I know I turned the grips off. The RAC check the battery and said it only charges to just over 11volts and should be more. Do I need a new battery? aswell as sorting the grips of course.

:stupid:

Yep......it's just a case of putting a multimeter set to volts dc across the battery terminals and taking down the voltage readings at different stages......as Stu says, we can help you with this..... 8-)

Yep......it's just a case of putting a multimeter set to volts dc across the battery terminals and taking down the voltage readings at different stages......as Stu says, we can help you with this..... 8-)

Making sure its not on the ammeter setting as my favourite trick

removing the fuse will do nothing for the charging system

Sorry, I meant regarding the leaving the grips on/someone switching them on and leaving me left in the car park.

I figured its only a short 15-20 mins ride to work and I could just wear my winter gloves. Rather that than spend 3 hours in a cold dark car park. :D

removing the fuse will do nothing for the charging system

Have you got a multimeter? we can teach you ;-)

Its not as hard as it sounds

I don't have a multimeter but could be an essential piece of kit. I'm keen to learn so will be one up and will seek advice how to use it :D Would one from Screwfix (cheapness)do or should I get one from Halfords?

Really enjoyed tinkering today. still trying to work out which wire is the tail light before snipping anything :D and I have a negative wire from the battery that runs right to the back of the bike and then seems to end in a connector that isn't being used.

Also discovered I have a K&N filter but no idea how to clean it yet so I left in well alone.