Ybr 125 Wiring New Gauges - help!

saltylimey

Hi All,

Is there anyone out there who might be able to help me sort a few problems wiring up a new set of gauges to a ybr for a cafe racer project? Basically, I've wired up the new set which had 9 wires, but there were 10 wires from the bike itself so have a brown wire left over as there's nothing to connect it to. As a result (?), only indicators and back light seem to be working!

The photo shows the stock gauges removed and also shows the various brown wires that run into one eventually - my new gauges don't seem to have these brown wires!

If anyone can shed any light on this please let me know - I can go into more detail too.

Thanks,

Christian

FullSizeRender-5.jpg.13c671262f16635153d5e797a8dd7c5e.jpg

I tried putting a set of clocks form a YBR125 Injection 2009 onto my daughters YBR125 2005 Carb.

As said above there is one wire extra on the later ones for the engine management light.

The rev counter stopped working with the injection clocks above 4000rpm.

I don't know if was due to a difference in the models or the clocks were faulty.

Best way with wiring projects lie this is start with an earth, then add each light/instrument one at a time.

I tried putting a set of clocks form a YBR125 Injection 2009 onto my daughters YBR125 2005 Carb.

As said above there is one wire extra on the later ones for the engine management light.

The rev counter stopped working with the injection clocks above 4000rpm.

I don't know if was due to a difference in the models or the clocks were faulty.

Best way with wiring projects lie this is start with an earth, then add each light/instrument one at a time.

Thanks for this. Makes sense to do it that way. I'll give it another go...

If you need the engine management light you could just add a single warning light separate to the main cluster.

It's driving me nuts! I think one of the problems is that there is some configuration of common earths and/or common +ve within the cluster which is different to how the stock gauges were wired up. I should be able to work out logically what does what but I'm not that smart.

For example, I know the neutral light wire goes to the neutral switch and earth but where does the power for it come from?! Argghhh

One side of the Neutral light should be live when the ignition is on. The other side is connected to the neutral light switch.

When the bike is in neutral the switch connects the wire to earth putting the light on.

I think this is where you are going wrong.

The illumination bulbs, high beam, indicator lights all require an earth (black wire), They illuminate when =12v is applied to the other wire.

Good luck.

One side of the Neutral light should be live when the ignition is on. The other side is connected to the neutral light switch.

When the bike is in neutral the switch connects the wire to earth putting the light on.

I think this is where you are going wrong.

The illumination bulbs, high beam, indicator lights all require an earth (black wire), They illuminate when =12v is applied to the other wire.

Good luck.

Thanks once again. I see what you mean but there is only one wire from the neutral light on the new gauges (must connect to the neutral light switch) so where does the +12V come from?

have you got a wiring diagram for both bikes?

I'm afraid this is all I have. Any thoughts?

Do the two different sets of clocks have different indicator warning lights?

does one set have one light and the other set have two ie left and right?

Ideally a full wiring diagram from both is needed

have you got a wiring diagram for both bikes?

I'm afraid this is all I have. Any thoughts?

Do the two different sets of clocks have different indicator warning lights?

does one set have one light and the other set have two ie left and right?

Ideally a full wiring diagram from both is needed

Hi Stu,

Yes, would make life a bit easier but I don't think there is one or at least not one readily available.

There are two gauges:

Left gauge is backlit with speedo, left indicator, right indicator (separate bulbs) and main beam indicator.

Right gauge is backlit with RPM, fuel warning light and neutral light.

At the moment, I have connected as follows:

wires from bike--------wires from gauge

black (earth)------------green (earth/ground)

blue (instrument illumination)---grey (instrument backlight)

dark brown (LH indictor)----------orange (left indicator)

dark green (RH indicator)---------light blue (right indicator)

Now, these all work. However, if I connect the rest up as apparently indicated, nothing else works.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.def32765f067bebcfde27f3ddf76891b.jpg

new gauges

Ah sorry for some reason I thought you was fitting some gauges from a newer bike :oops:

I would be inclined to connect the earth first then try each connection separately to see what works

it maybe that the earth is not good enough to take everything on the new clocks

Ah sorry for some reason I thought you was fitting some gauges from a newer bike :oops:

I would be inclined to connect the earth first then try each connection separately to see what works

it maybe that the earth is not good enough to take everything on the new clocks

OK - didn't consider that. Will take a look. Thanks Stu.

I have just found the wiring diagram for my daughters YBR125 2005 (carb)

Black wire - connects to rev counter, fuel gauge, illumination lights, left indicator, right indicator, full beam

Light green - Fuel gauge form sensor.#

Brown - connects to fuel gauge, rev counter, and neutral light.

Light blue - Neutral light (earths when switch is closed)

Yellow - full beam light

Green + orange - indicators

Dark blue - illumination bulbs

Yellow/blue striped - signal form ECU for rev counter.

Hope this helps.

The first four you have done seem ok, Try this for the other Five

BIKE - Clocks

Light Blue - Black -Neutral light

Green - Yellow/White -Fuel Gauge

Yellow - Blue Main Beam

Blue/Yellow - Yellow/Black Tacho

Brown - Green/Red 12v ignition

Light Green - This is the engine management light which your clock have not got a position for, it runs to the diagnosis connector , so you will have to set up a separate light for that, run over these connections your self first, like Stu said I thought you had another set of the same, Fingers crossed

P.S. Once you have connected the brown, test the horn that will prove the 12v supply to the horn

Edited by ThePhatomfart

• 2 years later...