ZZR600 jerking in 2nd gear..

Maxorama

Heya all. Got the bike back together together recently after faffing around with it for the MOT. I actually noticed this on the way back from the (failed) MOT test, that it began jerking at low/med revs. and after taking it out tonight finding that it seems to just be in 2nd gear, at low to med revs, it jerks as though the clutch is being dipped. pretty aggressive feeling... fine at the upper end of the revs.

I'm not certain that it was just 2nd gear, due to only riding it on single track lanes this evening and not being able to properly wind it up in 3rd. But it didn't do it at all in 1st.

Initially, I thought it was an electrical problem... but now i feel like there might be something up with the gear box. Like i say though, its only ever jerked, not jumped out of gear..

any ideas???

thanks !

Yeah I'm gonna stick with it I think, I've invested a fair bit of time and money in the bike. Took it for a spin again this morning and found some bigger roads, seems as though it's defiantly related to 2nd gear

Had exactly the same symptoms on a GSXR 1100 once. I hate to say this but its probably a worn selector fork deep in the gearbox.2nd gear gets a lot of abuse especially if previous owners like doing wheelies. A selector fork isn't expensive but its a big job to replace. You may be able to split the cases without removing the crank and top end by supporting the engine upside down in an improvised cradle. Good luck.

Had exactly the same symptoms on a GSXR 1100 once. I hate to say this but its probably a worn selector fork deep in the gearbox.2nd gear gets a lot of abuse especially if previous owners like doing wheelies. A selector fork isn't expensive but its a big job to replace. You may be able to split the cases without removing the crank and top end by supporting the engine upside down in an improvised cradle. Good luck.

Heya fastbob, thanks for the reply. Apparently these zzr's have a notorious second gear issue, which is all i can find on the net, and that sometimes the selector fork goes wrong. I may be wrong, but i think i saw a thread somewhere where someone was able to swap the forks for a good set via the inspection cover, rather than splitting the case. I hope this is the case !!

thanks again

Heya fastbob, thanks for the reply. Apparently these zzr's have a notorious second gear issue, which is all i can find on the net, and that sometimes the selector fork goes wrong. I may be wrong, but i think i saw a thread somewhere where someone was able to swap the forks for a good set via the inspection cover, rather than splitting the case. I hope this is the case !!

thanks again

hmm...were they a gynaecologist ?

thanks again

hmm...were they a gynaecologist ?

No idea mate, pretty sure this isn't the place to ask if you've got problems with your vagina though :) :booty:

Is possible to replace forks without splitting but its fiddly .

Good place for info is zzr-international.co.uk

Its one of my go to places to pick brains / gleam info for my zeds

But would you want to? If it's broken up inside, you'd be better off doing a rebuild to make sure you got all the bits out..

nice one thanks mate. I've been sifting a fair bit through there already. I think my zzr has had pretty much everything wrong with it possible so far. Pretty good for learning! annoying for just riding the thing though

When the second gear goes it tends to be as you power on it will disengage completly as if your not in gear and you need to reselect it .

Reading your description its as if its losing power and jerking not jumping out of gear ( correct me if im wrong)

I would just check a few basic things first .

Battery connections are tight .( as these loose will give a impression of power loss but not consistently and more in the lower power range )

Sidestand switch not fully extending back in to running position ( had this happen where set off for 1/2 mile and when exited a 30mph zone and power on it would stutter and lose pulling power but as soon as clutch was pulled in it stopped doing it ) . Bit of wd40 and a wiggle on the plunger pin with pliers soon sorted that .

Check plug leads are on correctly ( if you can run it in the dark ( proper dark) somewhere and be able to see the leads would be good) then look for blue tracking sparks off the leads/coils as it may be a lead breaking down under load ( plus its a funky light show just dont touch the little barstewards) .

Check your clutch adjustments and tolerance as it may be an indication that your clutch is begining to slip .

Again im just reading your description as i see it so please feel free to correct

But would you want to? If it's broken up inside, you'd be better off doing a rebuild to make sure you got all the bits out..

It's unlikely that anything has actually broken up. Most likely the sides of the selector fork prongs will have worn away. Unless they are really worn thin they will probably look like they were made that way. Here's a pic of a serviceable set from my old GSXR 1100 . If the smooth area is level with the casting then they are worn . If it's deeper than the casting they are very worn. Hope this helps.http://i.imgur.com/s1nVg45.jpg

Just found this picture of a very worn fork. Interestingly it's off a Kawasaki 600.....http://i.imgur.com/ujtLHrX.png

delightfully mine doesn't always engage into 2nd and I get neutral at 80. I mean 20.

Sounds like worn selector forks .

delightfully mine doesn't always engage into 2nd and I get neutral at 80. I mean 20.

Sounds like worn selector forks .

Yeah I've added it to the shittonne of other crap wrong with it

If it's any consolation, when my 2nd gear packed up on the GSXR I still went on a tour of Scotland on it . I seem to remember getting used to shifting from first to third gear. This was ok for getting from A to B but not ideal for drag racing ! I don't know if this would be much fun on a mid range bike like a 600 but the old 1100 took it in it's stride. This was all a long time ago and I don't think I would do it again.