Oil change suction pumps?

Joeman

Why ruin that lovely experience of no matter how hard you try ...of dropping the sump plug into the drain bowl .... not lining the drain bowl up correctly ...have the lovely feeling of warm oil running down your forearm .

And what removes all those lovely metal bits stuck on the magnetic sump plugs ....

Old kwaks have dual level sumps so it would be a mission to make sure you got it all.

Totally agree,daftest idea I've heard in ages.

modern engines are mostly alloy, so how much use is a magnetic sump plug these days? whats it going to collect?

The external parts you can see are mostly aluminium, crankcases, cylinder block, head, cam cover, end covers.

But most of the internal parts that are moving against each other are steel, crankshaft, roller bearings, gears, canshafts, valves, rocker arms etc. Pistoms are an exception - usually aluminium.

So a magnetic sump plug does have its uses. I'm not sure how effective they are, they certainly catch small particles of metal. But how much do they collect. The filter should be catching most of it before the oil gets pumped to the bearings.

Come on , own up , who among us has poured the new oil in without first replacing the sump plug? Me for one .

I've done stupid. I've done things that would make your toes curl stupid. But I've never done that level of stupid. :lol: