Oil change suction pumps?

Joeman

Lidl had oil change suction pumps on offer a few days ago. The idea is they suck the oil out of the dipstick tube on cars to save having to crawl underneath to pull the sumpplug.

Anyone tried one on a motorcycle?? It would save people shearing sump bolts if they worked!!

Read about one of these not too long ago and the tube going through the dipstick hole was in 2 pieces. Got it snagged and the bottom half ended up stuck in the sump :lol:

Im guessing alot of garages use these to save removing undertrays etc?

I remember back in the 70's and early 80's petrol stations had machines that did this, a bit like the air compressors they have now, you put 50p in and it sucked the oil out from the dipstick tube, then you just filled it back up with oil from the petrol station.

Dead quick and easy oil changes.

Never tried it on my bike though.

And yes, I realise my reminiscing in no way helps you in your quest, and for this I apologise unreservedly. :lol:

I remember back in the 70's and early 80's petrol stations had machines that did this, a bit like the air compressors they have now, you put 50p in and it sucked the oil out from the dipstick tube, then you just filled it back up with oil from the petrol station.

Dead quick and easy oil changes.

Never tried it on my bike though.

In the USA they have drive through oil change shops... clearly people over there feel the need to change their oil more regularly than we do over here.

If garages still had oil suction pumps it would be great!!

Suction pumps work well on cars if the dipstick tube goes all the way to the bottom of the sump.

Unfortunatly on many it doesn't I tried using oneon my Mondeo and it only pulled 4,5litre out, when I do a oil chnage by the sump plug 6 litres ocmes out.

On most bikes the oil filler has the dipstick in it. So you need to put a tube in here to suck the oil out.

I had a look at my GSX600F engine, the sump pan is a long way from the filler on the clutch housing & much lower down.

It doesn't look like I could get a tube to the bottom of the sump to get most of the oil out!

You only need to remove the bellypan and undo the drain plug.

Takes 2min and you get all the shit out

I don't need to do that!

I can do oil and filter without taking anything off :D

You only need to remove the bellypan and undo the drain plug.

Takes 2min and you get all the shit out

I don't need to do that!

I can do oil and filter without taking anything off :D

And thank god for that ( his wife adds )

And what removes all those lovely metal bits stuck on the magnetic sump plugs ....

Old kwaks have dual level sumps so it would be a mission to make sure you got it all.

Totally agree,daftest idea I've heard in ages.

And what removes all those lovely metal bits stuck on the magnetic sump plugs ....

Old kwaks have dual level sumps so it would be a mission to make sure you got it all.

modern engines are mostly alloy, so how much use is a magnetic sump plug these days? whats it going to collect?

modern engines are mostly alloy, so how much use is a magnetic sump plug these days? whats it going to collect?

Bits of bearings, cylinder liners, bits of gears, etc.......but ideally it shouldn't be collecting anything, if your engine is in good order...... :wink:

I've used these on cars and providing you change the oil regularly and do it when the oil is warm they get as much out of the sump as dropping it via the drain plug.

But I've yet to be convinced that they work on most bikes.

That's what i was thinking, and being so much more convenient than pulling the sump plug means you could change your oil much more frequently which would remove the sludge I'd there was any.. but as Mr Fro says, on bikes the clutch is probably in the way..

Modern engine cases are mostly alloy , cranks,gears and bearings are steel

I always thought they were mainly there to catch debris from the manufacturing process.. if you have bits of crank, bearing or gears coming off you have a bigger problems!!

It all has to pass through the oil filter and with modern filter technology, can anything pass through the filter that shouldn't?

Back in the olden days i could imagine filters weren't so efficient so magnetic plugs made more sense.

I always thought they were mainly there to catch debris from the manufacturing process.. if you have bits of crank, bearing or gears coming off you have a bigger problems!!

It all has to pass through the oil filter and with modern filter technology, can anything pass through the filter that shouldn't?

Back in the olden days i could imagine filters weren't so efficient so magnetic plugs made more sense.

All very good points but I think I will carry on dropping the oil out through the sump plug. If the worst happened and I stripped the thread then at least it's only the oil pan ( on most engines ) that would have to be replaced or machined. Also , as mentioned here, the clutch would be in the way on my bike.

S