Coolant level

Foxy Stoat seeks Pig

I replaced my coolant last weekend. I filled up to the correct fill level on the reservoir. I've done about 100 miles tops this week and I checked the level earlier today. The reservoir was only 3/4 full. So I topped up again.

Would the level have dropped as the coolant worked its way around water pump and radiator during the 100 miles I've done?? Certainly no leaking anywhere.

Thanks

I've had a faulty water pump let coolant into the crank case, so it might be worth checking your engine oil - if its brown and smells sweet, with emulsified oil on the sight glass, that would be a sign of coolant in your oil. small leaks/cracks can close up by the time the engine is warm.

is the bike over heating at all?

to be fair its probs just a pocket of air as was suggested already :)

I've had a faulty water pump let coolant into the crank case, so it might be worth checking your engine oil - if its brown and smells sweet, with emulsified oil on the sight glass, that would be a sign of coolant in your oil. small leaks/cracks can close up by the time the engine is warm.

is the bike over heating at all?

to be fair its probs just a pocket of air as was suggested already :)

Oil is clean, that was changed as well. Bike not over heating.

you could have had an airlock in there

Just keep an eye on it

So as the level has a dropped does that suggest the airlock has gone?? I will keep an eye on it through the week. And now that lighter evenings have arrived it can tinker after work if needs be. Hopefully won't need to though.

Chances are that you had some air trapped somewhere, which has now cleared.......or it's come out of the expansion tank overflow.......my Speedy is good at spitting excess coolant out the overflow pipe when he gets hot...... :wink:

it suggests either some has leaked out or there was/is an airlock and space has been taken up by some in the reservoir

it doesn't mean all of the airlock is out though :lol:

As I said keep an eye on it

If it keeps dropping then there is an issue somewhere I would have a few more rides first though

It is pretty common for it to drop after a coolant change on some bikes

I replaced my coolant last weekend. I filled up to the correct fill level on the reservoir. I've done about 100 miles tops this week and I checked the level earlier today. The reservoir was only 3/4 full. So I topped up again.

Would the level have dropped as the coolant worked its way around water pump and radiator during the 100 miles I've done?? Certainly no leaking anywhere.

Thanks

You say that you have filled the reservoir but is it actually a reservoir and not an expansion tank. If I wanted to be sure that my cooling system was full I would fill to the top of the radiator cap.

The service manual suggests it's a reservoir not expansion tank. I also filled directly into the radiator and at that point the correct level was showing on the reservoir. I have checked after todays ride (20 miles) and all seems fine at the moment.

Glad you got it sorted . This reservoir/expansion tank thing is a bit of a grey area.On both my bikes the tank is right at the back of the bike and connected by a long thin tube. This doesn't seem like a very good arrangement to me but I think it's because there isn't anywhere else to put it.