Rookie error?

Adamjf82

I cleaned and lubed my chain Saturday afternoon . Took it for a ride out Sunday then this morning I noticed oil on outside of rear wheel and tyre and all over swing arm.

Have I just put to much oil on and it's been flung off? Do I need to clean it all and start again?

did you use OIL or a lube?

whatever you have used you have put too much on

No need to do it again though as the excess is now off :lol:

I have found the best practice is use little and often :wink:

I used wd40 chain lube.

I made the mistake of getting my Mrs to apply the lube (No dirty comments) I held the back end of the bike off the floor and turned the rear wheel

you need a paddock stand really or lube a bit then push the bike forward lube some more etc

the wd40 lube is fairly good to be honest

chain wax is better IMO

I used to use old engine oil at times too

I hold a shop towel behind a section of the chain then spray the lube on it, rotate to the next section, then repeat until the whole chain is sprayed. Then grip the chain lightly with the towel and rotate it to remove any excess. That way you get no lube on the wheels. That is what I was told to do. anyway.

This weekend I also used WD40 lube for the first time, and just could not wash the lube off my hand that had seeped through the towel. Never had this problem before using Muc Off lube. In the end the only thing that would clean it was spraying my hand with some regular WD40. They are not stupid, the WD40 business people.

I get a plastic milk bottle, cut a section out of one side from top to bottom, then put the chain in the cutout. So imagine the chain going down the neck of the bottle and coming out the bottom of the bottle... all the overspray then goes into the bottle.. use it a few times them just chuck it away.

Oo I really like that method Joe! Going to have to try that.

I'm still trying to work out how much is enough, and what is too much. Seems I either put too little on, and in a few days the chain is dry. Or I put too much on and it ends up flung everywhere. Argh!! :lol:

Automatic oiler. Scott - TUTORO etc

Shaft :mrgreen:

This weekend I also used WD40 lube for the first time, and just could not wash the lube off my hand that had seeped through the towel. Never had this problem before using Muc Off lube. In the end the only thing that would clean it was spraying my hand with some regular WD40. They are not stupid, the WD40 business people.

This is a good thing!

It means its also sticking to your chain :wink:

I used the wd40 cleaner from Aldi this weekend, and just spraying it on was enough for the wording on the side of the chain to become visible, for the first time since I've​ bought the bike! I've since bought another 2 cans.

Used the wd40 chain wax after cleaning it, and the bits which went on the side have stayed white, but I'd assumed they'd go after the ride to work this morning - may just need to give it a wipe when I get home I guess, but instructions said to just leave it after spraying, so I did. However the swing arm is spotless, whereas previously there was at least a little spray from the stuff I used before (can't remember what it was).

Am I right in saying that with a scottoiler you don't really need to clean the chain?

Automatic oiler. Scott - TUTORO etc

Shaft :mrgreen:

Hush you!

I'm still trying to work out how much is enough, and what is too much. Seems I either put too little on, and in a few days the chain is dry. Or I put too much on and it ends up flung everywhere. Argh!! :lol:

I used my milk bottle chain tool today.. here's a photo:

IMG_20170405_140249.thumb.jpg.6906d988b30058f3bf64b899842a3a2e.jpg

IMG_20170405_140301.thumb.jpg.995505d4a27e6fed5bb8cfc6e63803cf.jpg

I used my milk bottle chain tool today.. here's a photo:

IMG_20170405_140249.jpg

IMG_20170405_140301.jpg

Does this work with semi skimmed as well Joe? :lol: