New member + no spark

leener

My known issues which you may have already checked its just easier to list them all

Ignition switch solder joints

Sidestand switch sticking

Dodgy earth on coils

Corroded connections/terminals on the green' starter' solenoid wiring plug

Correded connections on the fusebox wiring plug (generally the white coloured wire)

Generator wire connector corroded

Fuel pump relay ( will let the bike start and run can stop pulsing )( added a direct ignition feed)

Edited by TimR

The little green solenoid has bad corrosion on the pins for the connector (pictured). The neutral light is dimming randomly, even when revving. I have just changed out the coils to check them, and they are fine. The carbs were cleaned out and should be perfect.

I wasn't even sure what this green cylinder was... :scratch:

After noticing the neutral light dimming so much is worrying me... The battery is charged.

You think this could be a likely suspect? IMG_20170411_160250.thumb.jpg.f47f473249aefe8a1240466576cd02bf.jpg

My apologies i forgot the word' starter' http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA4MVgxMDQz/z/lOEAAMXQVT9S1sTO/$_1.JPG

Is what i mean . Its where the battery and starter cable meet .

The connections on the 4 terminal block loosen/corrode on the plug that plugs into it

What you're holding is the indicator relay

that shouldn't cause any running issue

I presumed that the green relay was for indicators, but nonetheless it needs replacing... Those legs look worse than a lady abusing testosterone.

Hmmm... The starter relay is pretty buggered, me thinks... What do you think? IMG_20170411_192300.thumb.jpg.3b8beaf7c7d85c8cff84ae1d86485bde.jpg

IMG_20170411_191517.thumb.jpg.79f9d79f2796d5089e12c0931d831985.jpg

Pull the black rubber cover off the rear of that red plug and check the wire/terminal condition . They get really green and furry

Clean terminals on starter relay it will be fine

Pull the fuse out abd clean the blades on it and check the terminals tightness & clean

I'll have it all apart in the morning and cleaned up with the remainder of the carb cleaner :thumb:.

They're looking furry and green even on the outside. Battery terminal spark nearly made me cack when shorted. I could do with replacing the wiring, anyway. It looks very old... 27 years old, I think.

Cheers for your help.

After replacing battery, calipers, pads, fairings, sparks, coils, leads, fuses, CDI, rear wheel, chain and sprockets, oil, and filter, plus all the work done to it, I think it's long overdue that I use it.

It's a bit cold and dark now so I'll update on it tomorrow, most likely :thumb:

This is today's test, without riding it.

I have cleaned the terminals, the solenoid was rust ridden around the terminals, but all sanded and clean, but listen to this... I'm so hesitant to ride it. I absolutely hate it cutting out on me, but I can almost guarantee it will cut. We shall see...

Here's the video:

https://youtu.be/UQ4gs8XrDQo

question as I cant be arsed to read 3 pages :lol:

Have you checked the tank breathers to make sure one is not blocked and causing a vacuum and stopping the fuel supply?

does it cough to a stop or just cut out dead?

Just about to check that, stu :thumb:

It just suddenly stops.

I am also disconnecting the side stand switch for a bit.

Been sat in the phone for ages and dying to get on with this bike.

IMG_20170412_121554.thumb.jpg.15797866c9ccdf3a9fedec086d50ef51.jpg

Just shoved the breather down the front, but wasn't restricted in any way. It's always Good idea to get these things checked.

The site stand switch is now off, so we will see what happens when I get up and try it.

IMG_20170412_121511.thumb.jpg.b99a27fc85b92ec3e307127b5bb35708.jpg

It's so bloody loud that everybody watches you so if you break down, they all see.

Sod' s law

First test went well (up on centre stand on planks, in each gear, and front weighted down).

I have learnt to ride up the hill to test it, to avoid the long, awkward push of shame.

I'll try to video the whole ride when I take it out for test 2 :?

• 2 weeks later...

Listing it for sale now. Still not running right and I literally can't find the effort to take it to bits yet again to diagnose the same problem that temporarily goes away when I replace, or fix something.

:cry: