head for my bike

barker

as you probably know ive got a 03 Honda xr125 that's giving me a few problems the latest is its ratley from the top end, rides ok but I really want to sort it so over this summer I will put a 150 barrel in it, but I would like to get a new head or reconditioned one , there's no rush as ive got other bikes to ride

any way does any one know were I can get a recon head from,184833847_hondaxrsameasmine.jpg.9ba9f3d61caf1d2bc2cc31ec8da12cc8.jpg nearer the south coast the better

1216150767_hondaxrsameasmine.jpg.534c8dd18023d1d5e1b093cc7fb8fb97.jpg

Top end 'rattle' can be down to a few things, none of which would require a new head (especially as it is 'running OK').

If it was me, I'd strip it down from the top and check everything, replacing if worn, adjusting if not. New gaskets and rebuild.

A 150 'upgrade' is not really worth the expense if the bike is just a bit 'ratley' (sic).

8-)

not looking for more speed just want to do the engine up ,so thought while im at it might as well fit a 150 barrel as it uses same head and carb,

im in no rush with this job so I thought I would sound out your thoughts

if any one has done the same how much did it cost and was it worth it

I hope you have done your test before doing a 150 conversion on it otherwise you are riding not in accordance to your licence :wink:

But as is said above no new head needed just probably needs looking at

passed my test years ago so no problem will inform insurance as well if I carry it out

think I will strip it down first and have a look at whats worn out then decide what to do

passed my test years ago so no problem will inform insurance as well if I carry it out

think I will strip it down first and have a look at whats worn out then decide what to do

Ah.....fair enough, mate...... 8-)

Yeah, give it a look at before buying bits for it......may be nothing...... 8-)

• 2 weeks later...

stripped the barrel and head cant see anything wrong with any of it drained the oil it was thin black but no metal fragments in it the oil filter was fairly clogged up so cleaned it out and pui it back

found a firm who does the barrel for 129 with all the gaskets recon heads 55 giving it some thought over the next few weeks

if its not the head that's rattling got any ideas as to what else would cause this

• 1 month later...

well I went for the 150 barrel and recon head . fitted it yesterday this morning it ran for the first time sounds ok no rattles or knocks so its fine

one thing that had me worried was while the engine was out I could not change gear it just went from 2nd 3rd but no further seems fine now its running

once the heat wave passes I will get it out on the road , will have to run it in .with a top end rebuild will it need 500 mile run in

1909369351_hondaxr125.jpg.2e27ab001a945d75e66da7903a84c52e.jpg