Another mechanical question about my clutch

Gaarmstrong318

Hey folks

This could sound really daft and for that I apologise

But on a Yamaha xj6 is it possible to shift gears without using the clutch without damaging it and the gearbox? I was riding to work and as I was about to change gear normally lower throttle>depress clutch>go up a gear my fingers slipped of the clutch lever before I depressed it but still managed to change gear, I tried it a couple more times and it will allow me to go up or down gear as long as I'm not using the throttle, is that normal??? I'm worried something is wrong with the bike again!

Edited by Gaarmstrong318

Normal yes

Possible yes

Damage .... minor possibility if executed wrongly damaged/worn selector forks and wear on the edges of the gears

Risk of not engaging a gear at the correct required time

Edited by TimR

I've been riding for years and this is the first time I've ever noticed it or actually done it, it freaked me out!

For the record I don't intend to do it normally but was worried I had buggered the clutch

Thank you for he quick answer though

:-)

• 4 weeks later...

Yes cluchless shifting it really easy and dose minimal to no damage to a bike

You can do it while traveling in gears higher that 2nd gear (it is possible to do it 1st to 2nd but I wouldn't recommend it)

With your left foot place it under the gear leaver and put about the same pressure you would normally use to change gear up when you are ready roll the throttle off and back on again you should feel the gear change

That's it I wouldn't suggest trying it with out good knowledge of what you are doing

Ride safe

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

All the clutch does is separate engine and gearbox because they are doing different speeds, if they are at the same speed on any vehicle, neither is accelerating nor decelerating, you can change gear without it.

I frequently use clutchless up-shifts. It's pretty smooth when executed properly. I only tend to do it at higher RPMs though and for gears above two - put a little pressure on the lever, flick the throttle off a bit and snick it up. I don't bother about town as I find using the clutch results in smoother action when just pootling. Always use the clutch in downshifts although it is possible to do those without clutch too, but not recommended unless you have a quickshifter/auto blipper fitted. It's normal practice amongst racers but as I said it doesn't suit every scenario.

My CG doesn't like clutchless shifts though, never managed to get it smooth on that bike.