Bike stalls going into first gear

savo318

Whenever i try to go into first from neutral the bike lurches forward, and then shuts off. The lights are still on and all electrics still work, but the bike just dies.

To be honest its an old honda cg , ive looked but cant even find a stand switch, and cant find anywhere on the net that tells me where it is

Not being funny here but if it's got one it will be on the side stand.

no side stand, only a centre stand, and i read that the cg was before they introduced them :D

Its one less thing to worry about :thumb:

As said check in owners manual for clutch adjustment .

To stop your clutch dragging you could try loosening the two nuts in the picture (2x 10mm spanners required) then turn them so that they move towards the left of the picture. Do it a bit at a time to see what the effect is . If this improves things then hold the left hand nut still and tighten the other one against it to keep it from moving. http://i.imgur.com/OkYKuo7.png

A. has anything happened to it recently ?

Dropped ,serviced etc

B.Does the bike roll when not in gear

C.Does the bike roll when in gear and clutch pulled in ( engine off)

D.How long have you been riding ?

E.Does it stall as soon as you select first ie pull clutch in , select gear

Or is it

F. Pull clutch in select gear . Slowly release clutch and apply throttle then stall

The bike was sat in a garage for 4 years, then outside for 2, unused. The i got it. It was dropped on its right side at some point, but was still working fine after that.

The bike does roll fine when not in gear.

The bike wont roll when in gear, even with the clutch pulled in.

I dont ride yet. I'm taking my cbt on friday. But the problem is not with me releasing the clutchtook quick.

It runs fine on the centre stand, lets me change gear with the back wheel in the air. The problem is when the bike is in the ground. Its like the added grip off the concrete makes it jump. It will run in neutral with clutch pulled. its when on the ground, as soon as i tap down into first.

Your clutch plates are simply stuck together

You either need to strip it and separate them

Or warm it up them run it on the paddock stand in first pull the clutch and stop the wheel with the back brake

Although this method can destroy the clutch plates

Take your pick :lol:

I would strip it out and replace the clutch plates, not difficult and if you lean the bike right over you don't even have to drain the oil . Found these on eBay, probably shite for that money though.http://i.imgur.com/NmUHaZ0.png

Yeah tried stopping wheel with back break, made no difference. Just going to strip them out. gotaa by the stupid tool now for the special nut. thanks guys. :D

Or things i would attempt but cant say to try

Remove clutch casing cover and using a rubber/ wooden mallet twat the clutch basket

Place bike on centre stand with a wall quite close to front wheel .

Get on bike . Start bike . Get it into top gear with a bit of revs and holding it tight and feet on floor ... push forward so bike comes off stand but wall makes contact with tyre ..

If you have a hill or a helper try a variant of bump start the bike but with ignition off and in top gear ... see if it works but make sure you have plenty of room in if it doesnt free ( i accept No liability)

Edited by TimR

when i stopped it with the rear brake the bike just shut down again. tried 3 times, each time same result

Get some revs on it at the same time

Try and keep the bike going it should free off!

The bike has oil in it, and to be honest the other day was the first time i tried it in gear. hd so many other jobs to do on it to get it running. i do know in the time it was running before, maybe 5 years before it went into storage, it was never serviced or checked over by the previous owner.

Try letting the bike get up to temp before trying to engage 1st that should tell you if it's oil related clutch drag. Then go ahead with adjustment. If the bike has been sitting a long time then this is quite usual

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk