Lexmoto 125 clutch cable/cant get neutral

HollyDolly

I'm a total newbie with some mechanical know how and I've just bought my first bike. I know most peoples opinion is avoid Chinese made but I've had no major issues with my wee bike so far.

The only one thing I've found is it simply refuses to engage neutral - unless the engine is turned off when it seems to have no problem at all.

When running it just skips through first to second and back to first no matter how gently or slowly you try to find neutral.

It is a huge pain in the ass when your waiting at red light for some time and cant get your hand off the clutch because its still in driving gear - unless you turn it off get neutral and get it running again.

I've read folk suggesting clutch cable adjustments which I'm going to try tonight but I wonder if I could do with a slightly longer cable - it tucks up the side of the tank rather snug and doesn't seem to have a whole lot of slack. Every other gear has no problem at all - jumps up and down them without issue.

HELP!

A longer cable that follows the least bendy route from lever to clutch could not do any harm but I reckon you've got a bit of clutch drag going on there so some adjustments might sort it. If you jump over to the Pit stop section and see the recent thread" bike stalls in first gear" you will a similar but more extreme clutch drag problem and a bit on how to adjust a typical cable clutch. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

This isn't my hating on Chinese bikes, I've got one. My lexmoto xtrs is a pig to get into neutral and neutral light stays on in every gear. But..... after a service with new oil etc. It was no problem at all finding neutral. It's coming up to service time again and I've started having issues with neutral

Could just be coincidence.

I did find that if you roll the bike forward slightly with the clutch slightly out then it would pop into neutral a bit easier.

But change your oil, you never know