Anyone willing to teach a newbie how to service his bike - Cheshire?

Hello All,

I'm completely new to motorbiking. I'd love to learn how to service and maintain my bike myself.

I appreciate there are manuals and online videos, etc but I tend to learn best in a more hands on way.

If there is anyone who would be willing to share their time and experience I'd be very grateful.

I'm based in Cheshire and am close to Manchester also.

Many Thanks,

mod edit- please use the PM function for direct communication :thumb:

Hi Moh,

There are some people who are good with tools, and there are some whose are not.

If you already have a basic set of tools and can change a household fuse or car tyre without worrying about it then you should be ok.

It also depends a lot on the bike you have. If you have a simple earlier bike then changing the plugs and oil/oil-filter is fairly straightforward. If your bike is complex newer bike you may find it false economy as the shop may be better equipped to handle it.

Here is a list of basic stuff doable by a beginner assuming you have a simple single cylinder bike.

Remove front wheel (on bikes with main stand)

Remove rear wheel (ditto main stand)

Check drum brakes (cable)

Check / adjust chain tension

Oil change

Oil-filter change (may need special tool if metal-can type)

Spark-plug change

adjust throttle cables

Check headlight beam and adjust.

clean battery connections

check and replace fuel filter (the one in the fuel tap)

Apart from the oil-filter tool, you only need a set of combination spaners (ring on one side, crescent on the other), some good quality screwdrivers (if you've a Japanese bike get Pozidrive ones - marked PZ+), good pliers (normal and needle-nose). Grandad's tools that he used back in the great war just won't work.

Also important is a good clean, well-lit workspace.

finally.. have your phone handy, not only for asking question on this forum but also to ask for help if your trapped under the bike!

Anil

Moh,

If you're planning on doing an oil-change, you also need to consider the disposal of the old oil.

I usually bring it to my car-repair place and they let me dump it in their disposal tank but you need to check out your options. Also its pretty messy as you need to pour out the oil from the pan into a sealed container.. put in in your car boot. .. empty it out, put the empty container away for the next oil-change.

Anilv

There is a YouTube channel for David, known as Muddysump. He has some excellent videos. He also does mobile servicing all over the country. Depending on your bike type he may come out and do an (excellent) service which I'm sure you could watch. What ever you choose to do watch his videos,

I am Northampton way and if you ever wanted a ride out some time, I will spare you some time to go over some servicing basics. Or you can email me [email protected] Cheers Jeff

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

if you've a Japanese bike get Pozidrive ones - marked PZ+

Stu will be along shortly to preach about JIS.. lol

:stupid:

JIS screwdrivers for Japanese screws :mrgreen:

They are the only screwdrivers you need as they fit everything

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Sorry for my late reply. Had an unexpected trip to France land in my lap. Back now and just wanted to say thank you to everyone for their time and tips. Shame I'm not closer to you megawatt / tigger004 as would happily take you both up on your offers. Anilv you're advice was spot on and I've already had a go at chain tensioning. Stu / Joeman I won't forget 'JIS'.

Cheers,

Mo