gear lever stuck bellow kickstand bolt??

Girlcbr125r

Iv noticed a problem when changing gears on my bike (honda cbr125rw 09). When i down shift, it gets stuck under the kickstand. and dosnt "pop" back up.

I really need help...... :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

does anyone know why its doing this or how to fix it.

please help Thank you.

Check that the bolt hasn't undone that its causing the fouling

Check the clamp bolt on the gear lever hasn't loosened and allowed the gear lever to travel further

Check if applicable the adjuster rods have not loosened and caused excessive travel on the lever

Or if you have dropped said bike check what Hoggs says . Its bent

Definitely need to see a picture of this. It can't have just happened so as other members have said either the lever is bent or the bolt isn't where it should be. Surely its not too difficult to work out what's happened.

First off I know nothing but I'd say the bolt needs tightening to stop it sticking out of the shifter has got bent in and is snagging. Hopefully someone who knows what they're on about will be along to correct me though.

My first impression its where the pivot point of the lever ( where it attaches to the bike ) tbe bush/ bearing has worn or the bolt has loosenen

Or

B that by the rusty Marks on the gear lever is that its been bent.

But has this just started doing it or has it been a ongoing issue .

20170519_140104.thumb.png.7402bed08fbbdc75de889b9bde53d506.png

Edited by TimR

I would try to bend the lever out a little bit and see if that cures the issue ( gently with a large screwdriver/pry bar/crowbar (or anything of a sturdy nature that will give same result)

20170519_135949.thumb.png.5c0c6ae74f2a2219fd4db8b6932aa7d9.png

its been an ongoing issue.....since i dropped bike on that side :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

will try tighten it and bend out lever.....was thinking same thing but didnt want to bend lever and have it snap off.

If it's dropped on that side I would think its s good chance the shift lever has bent in a little. Personally I'd try and bend it out even considering a judicious bit of heat from a blow torch to encourage it. But that's just me and should be taken with plenty of salt. Whereabouts are you, maybe someone would be able to take a look that or maybe a good local garage would take a look and sort it?

its been an ongoing issue.....since i dropped bike on that side :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

will try tighten it and bend out lever.....was thinking same thing but didnt want to bend lever and have it snap off.

Aha......yep, bend the lever out a bit......I'd be surprised if you manage to snap it off......just be gentle and bend a little at a time until it's clear...... :wink:

Have you had the side stand off? Usually the nut is on the inside and the bolt,which often has a thin flat head,is on the outside. Have a look and see if simply taking it off and putting it back the other way will clear the gear lever. I'll post a pic of one of my bikes to show what I mean. Having said, now that you mention dropping the bike on that side, its probably just a bit bent.I would straighten it in a vice off the bike incase you damage the clamp that holds it on to the shaft .here's the pic,see what I mean about a flat bolt head?http://i.imgur.com/2L8U5lf.jpg

Have you had the side stand off? Usually the nut is on the inside and the bolt,which often has a thin flat head,is on the outside. Have a look and see if simply taking it off and putting it back the other way will clear the gear lever. I'll post a pic of one of my bikes to show what I mean. Having said, now that you mention dropping the bike on that side, its probably just a bit bent.I would straighten it in a vice off the bike incase you damage the clamp that holds it on to the shaft .here's the pic,see what I mean about a flat bolt head?http://i.imgur.com/2L8U5lf.jpg

Thats a different style arrangement to the bike in question FB iirc the bolt also houses the return spring instead of normal extension spring

I'm well aware that its a different arrangement, I was just speculating that the bolt might be in backwards causing the retaining nut to stick out. The photo was merely to illustrate a point.

Hey everyone. So tightened kickstand and un bent lever and it seems to be ok (not getting stuck)

However..... iv noticed it mere impossible to now find N (neutral) insted of going half up from 1st I have to take it to second and keep trying a half down till it eventually finds it. I noticed this other day when I tried to pull out at lights and was confused to why i was revving and no motion.....sooo embarrassing :oops:

Is this also because of the lever being bent?? Thinking it's stopping it from clicking in properly.

Hey everyone. So tightened kickstand and un bent lever and it seems to be ok (not getting stuck)

However..... iv noticed it mere impossible to now find N (neutral) insted of going half up from 1st I have to take it to second and keep trying a half down till it eventually finds it. I noticed this other day when I tried to pull out at lights and was confused to why i was revving and no motion.....sooo embarrassing :oops:

Is this also because of the lever being bent?? Thinking it's stopping it from clicking in properly.

A bent lever wouldn't affect you getting neutral but sometimes it just takes a bit of practice.

Try it for a few days as is see if you get used to it .

If not i would look at adjusting the linkage rods to lift the lever upwards as it sounds like in the fall its placed a lot of pressure on it and possibly bent lever downwards as well.

This will mean that as you place your foot under the lever to lift it doesn't need a lot of movement to select and then by moving the lever upwards it gives your foot a bit more room under the lever to lift without too much pressure .

The rod i mean is what links your gear lever to the engine it will be a length of steel rod with a nut either end and it screws into the lever and the clamp on the engine .

It will need the nuts to be loosened a few turns whilst holding the rod with a pair of pliers ( normally one nut will undo one way and the other will undo the opposite direction )and then watching the lever twist the rod with the pliers until you see the lever going upwards . Keep turning till it has gone up a few millimitres(5 at most) then tighten the nuts whilst holding the rod and then try the bike out .

If its still seems sensitive adjust it again upwards but if it get to a point if where it requires a lot of foot movement to change gear you have gone too far and it may be a case of the internal selector has been worn by the continuous pressure of the gear lever sticking and may require changing

• 2 weeks later...