Time for new fork seals??

Foxy Stoat seeks Pig

So 4 to 5 weeks ago I had my MOT and was given an advisory for slight oil misting on the stanchions. Had a look today and found there is quite a bit more oil present.

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy283/martash2009/Fork%20Right.jpg

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy283/martash2009/Fork%20Left.jpg

Time to replace the seals?

Replacement. They'll only get worse otherwise. Factor in for labour charges or if you are willing to have a go yourself there is plenty of info on youtube. Delboy's garage is a good place to start.

Replacement. They'll only get worse otherwise. Factor in for labour charges or if you are willing to have a go yourself there is plenty of info on youtube. Delboy's garage is a good place to start.

Been quoted around £200. I have seals, covers and oil on order. Willing to give it a go myself but will need a way of lifting front end of bike.

Been quoted around £200. I have seals, covers and oil on order. Willing to give it a go myself but will need a way of lifting front end of bike.

trolley jack and a piece of wood across the bottom of the exhaust :wink:

Use the centre stand but put a plank under it to raise the bike a little bit. Get someone to push the back end down then shove something under the frame or exhaust pipes such as a breeze block with something soft on top like some magazines or old books. My personal choice is a Jamie Oliver cook book I got as a Christmas present. I don't need anyone to tell me how to burn things and then drown everything in olive oil and I prefer to eat off a plate not a plank of wood.

My personal choice is a Jamie Oliver cook book I got as a Christmas present. I don't need anyone to tell me how to burn things and then drown everything in olive oil and I prefer to eat off a plate not a plank of wood.

Other uses for anything published by Jamie Oliver (or in fact Jamie Oliver himself) include:

Fire starting

Papier mache

Paper aeroplanes, boats etc

Improvised bum wad

Animal cage lining

Oh, and yes, centre stand if you've got one. :-D

Thought I would try and prep the bike ready for tomorrow. Had a bit of a nightmare. Took front wheel off, then realised I hadn't put the centre stand on a plank(for more lift at the front end). Had to put wheel back on, which was a bit of a sod to do. Took all front fairing off then realised I didn't really need to too. Lower pinch pins on the yoke don't look very clean and they wouldn't loosen off so I've WD40'd them overnight. Trying to get it all done before dark. So far not so good :(

Hopefully not to many 'Crap, I've broken it threads tomorrow' :D

once you remove the dust seals the retaining clip should be visible

if there is not one in then they may have been replaced before and not put a retaining clip back in!

Can you get a pic?

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy283/martash2009/Seal%201.jpg

First one can not see any clip

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy283/martash2009/Seal%202.jpg

Second one I have been digging out the rubber with a flat head screwdriver.

Would Circlip pliers have been a better option? Not that I have any yet.

its hard to see from the pic but is this circled in red not part of the clip?

image.jpg

can you feel the grove where the clip is supposed to be?

Also are you replacing the bushings too or just the seals?

The clip is easy to get out if there is indeed one in there you usually can't miss them!

The seals aren't as easy to come out and you have to use the forks as a slide hammer to get them out but this can trash the bushings and could also need to be replaced too