FZ1 coolant level concern

Phooey

Hi guys ... I am off to Manchester tomorrow and decided to give the bike a quick once over today instead of weekend - oil, water light etc

I noticed the plastic water bottle a little low, not majorly, above the min line but no where near the max line. I decided to remove the radiator cap to top up as instructed on the internet! (assuming that's right) but the radiator appears to be full. I can feel the water if I put my finger in the hole. - come on guys stay on track here.

Now I am a little worried that there might be a blockage somewhere. I don't have time to deal with that before my Manchester trip and I have to go and have to take the bike.

Any thoughts?

The coolant should be topped up in the expansion tank..... :wink:

Thats what I thought Bob but there is no cap to top up from.

That's weird mate.......All my bikes have had a removable cap on the expansion tank.......I topped my Speedy up that way this afternoon....... :shock:

The coolant tank may just have a small push on of flip cap nothing like the radiator cap.

The coolant tank may just have a small push on of flip cap nothing like the radiator cap.

Definitely agree,but I've always regarded the expansion tank as exactly that,i.e somewhere for surplus fluid to go if the rad boils . That said , they do have a minimum level so they can be a reservoir as well. Trouble with some bikes is that the tank is often so far away from the radiator and connected by such a thin pipe that they may be an unreliable way of maintaining the coolant level. So checking the level in the radiator as well was a smart move.