Attempted Theft - Steering Lock Broken

funinacup

Hi guys

Came out to find the bikes wheel facing straight and steering lock been forced round. Can't turn the key in the ignition now and I'm a bit stumped.

Any ideas? Bike is a 2008 Bandit 1250.

Thanks

Michael

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Managed to wiggle the key enough and get it to turn, but the key is going further than usual in both directions and the ignition doesn't come on in any position.

I need to find out whether or not the battery is flat, but when I turn my heated grips on the display lights up so I'm assuming it's not so flat that the clocks wouldn't come on... 367917dcbe5bd82c27dcc9e876c9c091.jpgbb330b50a20058450b37a1664c943df4.jpg

Does anyone know if the steering lock pin cuts power to the ignition when it's in use? It's currently jammed in the lock position so I think that may be causing it to not power up when I turn the key.

Having it recovered to a garage tomorrow hopefully so will see what they say, but expecting a big bill :evil:

That frame lock is now f**ked ....

Possibly the switch contacts have been dislodged / broken and causing cross contacts ..look at the bottom of the ign switch there should be a section where the wires go into it that unscrews and houses the actual switch contacts .

Just out of interest, did you have any other locks or security devices on the bike?

Yeah, Oxford chain and disc lock. Nothing else seems damaged but the top yoke has a huge crack in it where they've levered the bars round.

Update: spoke to the garage (Saltire Motorcycles in Edinburgh) and they've advised it will need a new ignition barrel (£170) top yoke (£220 but got one used for £40) and a couple hours labour (£65/hr) so not a cheap repair. Scumbags (the thieves!). Saltire have been super helpful in allowing me to have the bike taken there even though they're slammed at the minute and don't really want extra bikes knocking around, but advised me to get it off the street as it was probably a target for another night now.

----

2008 Bandit 1250

• 4 years later...