Changing my chain and sprockets

Liverpool87

Hi guys, so I'm changing my chain, sprockets and crush drive rubbers on my 08 ybr 125 tomorrow. I ordered a DID chain and sprockets after a bit of research. I ordered it from eBay and it says it is for my bike. The instructions are veryisleading on fitting the chain. I think Ill be okay with the fitting of the chain if it is a straight swap, but what I'm not sure on is if it is going to be the right length or not. How would I check This? Would it be as simple as removing my old chain and lining them up to see if they are the same length? Any advice will be greatly appreciated as always

The old chain will have stretched so don't use it as a measurement.

Take off the old chain and sprockets. Fit the new sprockets (make sure you have the right torque settings and know whatever locking mechanism is used on your front sprocket).

Adjust the rear wheel so it is at the front end of the adjustment range and in line with the markers both sides.

Trial fit the chain - you're looking for the amount of slack recommended for the year/model of your bike. If it's too much you may need to remove some links, if so play safe and remove less rather than more at a time. It's easy to remove a few more if you need to, but not add any if you cut it too short.

How is your chain joined together? Some smaller bikes use split links - if so make sure the link is facing the right direction.

Assuming the new sprockets are the same size as the old ones,Just count the number of links in the old chain.

It will have stretched as MB said so laying them side by side may be misleading.

A parts diagram will normally say how many links are in the chain and how many teeth are on the sprockets as standard. Don't just compare the new ones to the old ones as (unless you bought it new) the previous owner might have changed the number of teeth on the sprocket which often also requires a chain change.

You can find a parts diagram at http://www.fowlersparts.co.uk. According to their diagrams for a model the sizes are:

Front sprocket: 14T

Rear sprocket: 45T

Chain: 118 links (428 pitch)

Remember when fitting the split link the unsplit side should be forward, i.e. it should be leading in the direction that the chain moves.

Hibguys sorry about the late reply. So I changed the chain and sprockets. No problem, the chain was the right length. Bit of a new issue, there is a while noise coming from the chain whenever the bike is moving. Is this normal? The set I bought was a DID chain and sprockets set so it is aftermarket but is supposedly OEM. The chain is straight and doesn't look as if it is rubbing on anything. The tension is 20mm

Right so turns out my bike has had a knock in the past because when I line the wheel alignment up to the corresponding marks, the front and back wheel are out of line with eachothwr. So if I line the wheels up so they are straight with eachother, the chain is nice and slack until I tighten the axwl but up and it goes too tight. No matter how much I slacked the chain first, it goes too tight once the axèl but is tightened. I feel like crying

As above, most chains will tighten a bit when you torque up the axle bolt so set them slightly slacker before hand.

If the chain is correct then you shouldn't be having that problem. Show us some photos of the adjusters.

Hi guys, so I'm changing my chain, sprockets and crush drive rubbers on my 08 ybr 125 tomorrow. I ordered a DID chain and sprockets after a bit of research. I ordered it from eBay and it says it is for my bike. The instructions are veryisleading on fitting the chain. I think Ill be okay with the fitting of the chain if it is a straight swap, but what I'm not sure on is if it is going to be the right length or not. How would I check This? Would it be as simple as removing my old chain and lining them up to see if they are the same length? Any advice will be greatly appreciated as always

Count the links