New here and having bike trouble!

Griff

Hey guys, so I'm new here, I live in the Midlands and I ride a Lexmoto ZSX-F.

I love my bike, I bought it yesterday but it broke down.

So basically, it was working perfectly fine until about an hour in when I realized I was hitting 50 in fourth (funnily enough, even though it's a 125, I hit 60 in 4th at standard spec), anyway, I noticed I was slowing down and as I got to an island, I cut off, my dad came back to me and I got a recovery, the bike turns over but won't start.

We tried bumping it in second, it started then died and it didn't allow me to rev to keep it alive.

We checked the oil and found the bike had a tiny leak and hardly any oil left, took it to my mate's house and started stripping the carb, carb was clean, air filter was clean.. obviously needed oil (gonna put some in soon)...

So does anyone have any theories as to what it may be? Killswitch didn't affect it, doesn't turn over at all with killswitch on, fuel tap is fine, battery is fine..

Yet to get out a multimetre to test.. but want to test the waters.. what do people think it could be? There is no killswitch in the sidestand to my knowledge as I cannot see any wires at all coming from or going to it.

Thanks in advance guys! (hoping this is the right forum to post this in)

Would also ask people to not comment on the brand or the nationality of the bike, it's clearly not relevant, I'm in a crappy situation and no rideable bike, my bike is my livelihood and I use it to get to work.

Please don't be offended but you have stated what's wrong. There's no oil in it! Oil is not an optional extra , its the life blood of the engine. Without it moving parts wear out rapidly and become inefficient thus explaining the dramatic reduction in performance. Fill it up immediately and hope that lasting damage has not been done.

Please don't be offended but you have stated what's wrong. There's no oil in it! Oil is not an optional extra , its the life blood of the engine. Without it moving parts wear out rapidly and become inefficient thus explaining the dramatic reduction in performance. Fill it up immediately and hope that lasting damage has not been done.

Not at all offended my man! It's just confusing as usually a bike would start even with little to no oil in, no?

I don't think it's seized as the wheels didn't lock up and as stated, still turns over and starts on a bump.

UPDATE:

There are no metal shavings in the oil, just got a friend to check as the bike is in his garage atm.

Oil is a huge part of the cooling system on an engine the hotter oil gets the thinner it gets ..

This results in bits getting hotter and expanding .

It may be a simple fuel issue with the heat .

Do basic checks for a spark ,fuel delivery and battery / charging outputs

It may be as FB says due to lack of oil results in ..

Gaskets failing due to overheating /warping

Piston rings becoming brittle from overheating loosing compression especially on a hot engine

Spark plug failing/ burning out due to overheating

Pistons burning out due to overheating loosing compression

Valves burning out due to overheating

Do the basics and see from there

Some engines have a sensor to engage limp mode/cut power in low oil pressure .

Not at all offended my man! It's just confusing as usually a bike would start even with little to no oil in, no?

I don't think it's seized as the wheels didn't lock up and as stated, still turns over and starts on a bump.

Well yes but why would you even think of starting an engine if you know there's no oil in it? That is why a retreating army destroys its vehicles by removing the sump plug and leaving them running.

If it is the case that the pistons have seized, does anyone know what it would require to get the bike running again?

It's a Lexmoto ZSX-F 125, the ZS125 FMI engine.

Never done it before so I'm looking to either buy a complete engine second hand or redo the top end.

Could anyone sort me a list of parts I'd need so I can buy them or point me in the direction of a breaker/dealer who'd sell a second hand engine please?

Bloody hell, this lot are in bit of a mood today aren't they!

OP - don't get concerned about melted engines yet.

You're doing the right thing by checking stuff out. Have you had the multi-meter on it yet?

You're doing the right thing by checking stuff out. Have you had the multi-meter on it yet?

Considering he bought it only yesterday.....

Please note my posts are only highlighting what can happen but have stated to check the basics

( i have even refrained from asking if it has enough fuel in tank )

Was it a private sale or dealer .

Fair comment,in fact it is by no means a certainty that all of the oil has gone missing. There might be enough in the sump to keep things going. If the bike is CG125 based it will be push rod operated and less prone to top end damage caused by oil starvation. Probably the best idea is trailer it to a reputable mechanic and let them check it out.PS I've just had a look and it is an OHC engine so not so good because they depend on oil getting to the top end.

Considering he bought it only yesterday.....

Please note my posts are only highlighting what can happen but have stated to check the basics

( i have even refrained from asking if it has enough fuel in tank )

Was it a private sale or dealer .

Private sale bud.

Had a full tank.

No multi-metre on it yet but the more and more I research the more and more it looks like top end. I've even asked a mechanic today and he believes top end too.

So, I'm cutting my losses and putting the bike up as spares or repairs so I can make some money back at least.

I think you're jumping to the "it's knackered" conclusion too quickly.

Look at what happened:

Started losing power.

Cut out.

Won't turn over.

Will fire with a bump start.

First thing I would check is the battery and charging system.

Less than £10 for a multi-meter vs probable significant loss for spares sale...

Look at what happened:

Started losing power.

Cut out.

Won't turn over.

I'm ask I for more than I paid for and I got charged for recovery.

Look at what happened:

Started losing power.

Cut out.

Won't turn over.

Update!

There's compression, my mate put his finger over the sparky hole and there was a pop and a gush of air!

Your battery could simply be flat and the reg rectifier bollocksed. I wouldn't panic about the engine just yet, get some oil in first and do the electrical checks.

Battery is charged mate, got it charged properly at a bike shop, got a new sparky, I'll check the regulator/rectifier.

Do you or does anyone know what voltage my bike should be giving out? It's a ZSX-F 125, it's a 12v to my knowledge, I just don't know a great deal about electrical stuff.

Battery is charged mate, got it charged properly at a bike shop

You can charge it wherever you want, if it's f**k-ed then it's still going to be f**k-ed. It may even be reading 12.4V (ish). Still doesn't mean it's not f**k-ed.

Put a multimeter set to 20V DC across the terminals. Fire it up. If the voltage drops noticeably then there's your answer - bin it at the local tip and buy a new one. :thumb:

Edited by Mawsley

Battery is charged mate, got it charged properly at a bike shop

You can charge it wherever you want, if it's f**k then it's still going to be f**k. It may even be reading 12.4V (ish). Still doesn't mean it's not f**k.

Put a multimeter set to 20V DC across the terminals. Fire it up. If the voltage drops noticeably then there's your answer - bin it at the local tip and buy a new one. :thumb:

I'll give it a try, cheers bud.