new battery prep

So I have a new Yuasa battery no order for the bike. I've got a cheap battery charger but have read this isn't appropriate for a first charge of the battery. A friend has lent me one of these

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/hand-tools/sealey-autocharge12-battery-charger-electronic-12amp-6-12v-230v

sealey autocharge 12. Will this be ok for a first charge of the battery to get it in top condition from the off?

thanks

Dom

The instruction manual for the charger says.. maybe not. The charger will only work if the battery has a minimum charger of 9v. anything below that and it wont turn on.

so.. will the new battery have this minimum residual charge? only one way to find out.

Heres the direct quote:

73358283_ScreenShot2017-06-20at16_22_31.png.515f3d6b76ffcd0203ce18283b95f625.png

In future consider buying a sealed MF (AGM) battery.. these arrive fully charged and ready to fit and use. no separate acid pack or any messing about. Of course.. if the battery you have ordered IS an MF.. then it shouldnt need any charging before first use. (unless its sat in a warehouse for far too long)

Edited by Gerontious

That will f**k your battery on fast charge, it's for cars. Large car cells accommodate higher charging current. Without telling me, a friend fast charged my new battery...resulting in me having to buy another battery. It killed it. Someone will no doubt write to say 'blahblahblah I use a car charger on my batteries and they go better and have lasted for a billion years and invented a new type of chemistry'. Heed them at your own risk.

Motobatt lumps are good to go from the off, but will obviously take a day or so to arrive. I love my Motobatt.

I popped a Yuasa into the lad's 125 the other weekend and the residual charge was enough to get it going - so we rode it for three hours to get it fully charged.

If you want a charger then Halfords also do a couple of the Oxford bike intelligent chargers. I'd suggest buying one of them.

Put the acid in, let it stand a while, start the bike ( bump start if necessary) go for a good ride and it should be fine. Works for me , my last Yuasa lasted seven years . I know some might disagree but there you go.

I bought a new battery for my bike earlier this year.

The instructions showed how to fill the cells wi the acid provided, then wait the required time.

Connect the battery up and go. It will already be fully charged, attemtingot charge it will not achieve any positve results, but could damage the battery.

Just follow the instructions exactly.

The instructions showed how to fill the cells wi the acid provided, then wait the required time.

Connect the battery up and go. It will already be fully charged, attemtingot charge it will not achieve any positve results, but could damage the battery.

And if he does follow the instructions exactly he will fill it leave it for 20 - 40 mins then fully charge it before fitting :wink:

And if he does follow the instructions exactly he will fill it leave it for 20 - 40 mins then fully charge it before fitting :wink:

Yeah pretty sure that's the yuasa way. Faffage, not my favourite. Mottobatt next time 👹.

I won't buy motobatt again after mine lasted such a short amount of time.

Granted I let it discharge, but I've done that with many batteries and they all recovered.. not the motobatt battery, that said it was full then died on the ride to last year's rally. I swapped it out at the petrol station and put it in the bin!

https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=60733&p=978355&hilit=Motobatt#p978355

Thats unusual Joeman I was looking online before I got mine and it had loads of good reviews, don't think I saw one that had issues like that. Ill see myself anyway Ive got one on mine :). Fraction of the price a Yuasa was for mine too.

Thats unusual Joeman I was looking online before I got mine and it had loads of good reviews, don't think I saw one that had issues like that. Ill see myself anyway Ive got one on mine :). Fraction of the price a Yuasa was for mine too.

I put one on the ZXR earlier in the year. It whizzes the engine over very nicely although it looks incredibly cheap and tacky.

• 6 months later...

I think my battery MAY be on the way out (fook knows when - if ever - it was changed though), it did not want to start after a petrol stop this morning, got a weak turn over, dash lights dimming but no fire. Turned the lights off and left it for a bit, crossed everything and tried and got a start (along with a MASSIVE backfire which was fun).

Anyway in preperation I was umming over Yuasa or Motobatt and I can safely say this thread is NO help in helping me decide :lol:

I ended up with motobatt. its yellow and ready to install. given me no problems over winter on a bike parked outside if that's any help. its yellow as well.

I've had two motobatts

Not because one died because I've had two bike to put them in :lol:

The first was the tl some 5 years ago and is still going strong according to my brother and one in the Fjr too

I've used Yuasa batteries for 40 years. Worth paying the extra.

They are even better if you get a massive staff discount ( cost plus vat plus 10% ) sadly those days are but a memory but it still hurts to pay customer prices .

If you have a battery that's below 10v some chargers won't touch them. You can buy an intelligent charger, or a cheaper option is a simple plug charger for gell cells. I have a 400MA one that has resurrected many dead batteries. Handy to use over long lay up periods as well.

I bought a Yuasa battery not long ago, after a faulty/shitty/old DataTool system 3 alarm drained the battery while my bike sat in the garage over the summer (bought it roughly 4 months before I passed my test, wrongly assumed I'd fly through my lessons...)

Anyway, just follow the instructions. Fill it with acid then charge it up for a couple of hours. I bought a cheap trickle charger and it did the job nicely.

Be careful with that acid though. It's pretty concentrated, as you'd expect, and you need to do this in a well ventilated area or else you might inhale some harsh fumes - not to mention the charging process apparently gives off hydrogen gas.

As if riding a bike in general wasn't dangerous enough :lol: