What's the buzz?

someone

My bike has suddenly started making a sound that I would describe as being like the buzz of high voltage electricity at around 6.5k revs. It starts just before that point, gets louder, but then disappears after. It does not seem to affect the bike though and is the same regardless of gear.

Does that make sense and suggest any likely cause? Will seek professional help next week, but just want to know if it is safe to ride tomorrow.

Well that is doubly frustrating. I guess a loose screw with wire washer holding the heat shield on the exhaust seems a reasonable cause.

I did wonder if it was something loose, but with it happening at a specific rev range I worried it might be something more serious.

Frustrating firstly because I already knew it was loose. The heat shield moving makes a scraping sound so I had already discovered that problem, and kept meaning to fix it "once I get home and have access to a screwdriver." Except every time I got back, went to upstairs to my flat, changed clothes, I had completely forgotten about it.

Frustrating secondly because it seems I cannot do anything about it. I say loose, it has undone enough that was some give in the shield, but since I discovered the problem there is now a bit more free movement for the washer ,which presumably explains the new sound. But it is too tight to easily turn and I do not have any Japanese screwdriver heads, but both the Philips and flat ones I have seem more intent on stripping it instead. Even the screwdriver in the bikes own toolkit has a Philips head!

Thanks.

Maybe a dumb question, but would dual JIS/ISO heads be okay? As these are the only buts I can find:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vessel-B33-4-Screwdriver-Bit-Set-Phillips-1-4-JIS-ISO-4-Piece-/371976030416

A regular screwdriver is no good because the screw is angled towards the wheel, so my normal length screwdriver could not even fit, plus a right angled ratchet will be easier to tighten.