Fitting a Scottoiler

Lateralus

A friend is selling me a spare, new V System scottoiler, which I'm looking to fit/get fitted before going touring in 3 weeks.

I need a couple of adaptors for the Tiger Sport, which the excellent people at Scottoiler are sending me for free!

A local garage has said they'll fit it for £50, which I'm pretty happy with, but is this something sufficiently simple that I should just be doing it myself?

I sent a photo of the engine from the right hand side, which the chap at Scottoiler annotated to show where to attach the thingy, but it looks pretty fiddly, and if it needs the tank lifting then I'm definitely not interested! In particular I'm concerned about not reattaching every properly, and setting off a nuclear reaction (or causing some other issue) when next riding.

324914869_2014TigerSPvacuumcap.thumb.JPG.33ab20ba405990ce048031c1e26b2fc9.JPG

For £50 to have it done by someone I trust, I'm pretty happy, but thought I'd see what others' experiences have been with fitting them.

Go for it

Scott do detail install sheets for most models and they are pretty easy to do.

If you can reach the throttle body for the vacuum tap off should not need to lift the tank.

The reservoir goes high and as long as it is not horizontal will work. Mine is about 20 deg from horizontal.

You seem to have a ready take off point for the vacuum so that's an easy fit. Mine was a cut pipe and insert "Tee" piece.

Run the oil delivery pipe down and along the swinging arm to the outlet point, fixing examples are on the web site.

prime the system and set to 1 drop per minute.

All the necessary details are on the web site.

I've read all the instructions, which are fairly clear for someone with no idea what they're doing, and the chap I've been emailing at Scottoiler has sent a few more helpful details too.

It's mainly the fettling with the vacuum tube which concerns me - is it simply a case of pulling it off, adding the adapter they're sending me for the Scottoiler tubing, and pushing it back into place?

Seems the oil pipes can just be fed along the route of the rear brake line.

Rather than get halfway through and end up with a non-working bike, I could bring it to the rally to try and fit in front of a supportive and increasingly drunk audience! :mrgreen:

Happy to have a go, but if there are more experienced hands, erm, on hand, that would be very reassuring!

Basically yes.

The vacuum in the pipe lifts a valve in the reservoir and allows the oil to dip under gravity onto the chain. (simplified explanation)

So remove the bung from wherever and refit with the adaptor being sent. This adaptor will either need to be fitted to the pipe from the reservoir or the whole part is sent.

The an oil delivery pipe runs to the chain and a third pipe, Breather, runs to the free air.

https://www.scottoiler.com/kb/article/vacuum-connections-general.html

Rather than get halfway through and end up with a non-working bike, I could bring it to the rally to try and fit in front of a supportive and increasingly drunk audience! :mrgreen:

I approve of this. It sounds more fun than caravan disco and I'd not have to get out of a chair.

Happy to have a go, but if there are more experienced hands, erm, on hand, that would be very reassuring!

... and what part of this plan is designed to stop you ending uyp with a non-working bike? :scratch:

... and what part of this plan is designed to stop you ending uyp with a non-working bike? :scratch:

The fact that I'll have a fleet of alternatives to borrow for going to Spain! :mrgreen:

Ok, seriously then, if I bring it to the rally with printouts of the the install sheets, a bunch of zip-ties and a big torque wrench*, are you guys confident that we could get it fitted easily enough in a field?

Set off on my trip two days later, so wouldn't have another chance after that to get it done in time! Will pay for any assistance in beer**.

*lol

**Stolen from anyone not helping

I've fitted one to three different bikes now, it's fairly simple, but just spend some time to make certain all the pipes are routed well, and that the reservoir is easily accessible for topping up the oil.

Is your friend selling you the whole kit as it should come with numerous zip-ties, sticky pads, brackets and a small tube of superglue.

Keep an eye on the amount of oil on the chain, particularly as you head into winter. As the temperature drops the flow of oil will reduce and you may need to turn up the dial on the top of the unit.

IMO they are fantastic bits of kit, as long as you don't mind the small amount of oil that it throws onto the bike, they make chains nearly as maintenance free as shafts.

• 3 weeks later...