1998 600 hornet- shutting down

Scooke333

Hello All,

After a bit of advice, I have a 1998 600 hornet, the last two times I have rode it, it has shut down on me while on the move, all lights etc are still on, press the start button, will not turn over (not even clicking) would not bump start either, left it a few hours and it started first time as normal, tried it again to go home from work another two hours later and it didn't start first time and the battery seemed to run down very quick (new battery 3 months ago). recharged the battery, started perfectly so rode bike home (only 7 miles), few days later used bike for work again and it suddenly shut down again while on an island, again nothing off the button, left it 20 mins, started fine again, by this time I had called for a recovery vehicle and decided not to chance riding it back home, when the recovery vehicle arrived it attempted to start it and again it turned would not fire and the battery run down very quick,

Has anyone got any ideas or had a similar fault?

sounds like alternator (stator) issue maybe.

does it splutter before it cuts out, or maybe the dash/ headlights dim first?

Thanks Hoggs, yeah it does splutter a little before shutting down. and dash lights/ headlight etc all remain lit

The Reg/Rec failing on hondas is a common problem......you need to check if the battery is being charged by the charging circuit.......For that you'll need a voltmeter of some description. ......check to battery voltage with the ignition switched off and on.......then start the bike and check the battery voltage at tick over and then at about 2500rpm.......let us know what the voltages are...... 8-)

I think rec reg too, I sold more pattern rec regs ( Electrex ) for Hondas than for any other bikes by far when I worked in the bike trade . So many in fact that we always kept a supply in stock . RR58 £65

The Reg/Rec failing on hondas is a common problem......you need to check if the battery is being charged by the charging circuit.......For that you'll need a voltmeter of some description. ......check to battery voltage with the ignition switched off and on.......then start the bike and check the battery voltage at tick over and then at about 2500rpm.......let us know what the voltages are...... 8-)

Thanks Tango I will loan a meter, and carry out these checks, although down to work commitments I will not be able to check until next Thursday, I will let you know,

Thanks Tango I will loan a meter, and carry out these checks, although down to work commitments I will not be able to check until next Thursday, I will let you know, oh I did replace the reg/rec three years ago as it cooked the battery.

I think rec reg too, I sold more pattern rec regs ( Electrex ) for Hondas than for any other bikes by far when I worked in the bike trade . So many in fact that we always kept a supply in stock . RR58 £65

Thanks I will check when I get the chance

sounds like alternator (stator) issue maybe.

does it splutter before it cuts out, or maybe the dash/ headlights dim first?

it does splutter a little but all lights stay illuminated

Thanks Tango I will loan a meter, and carry out these checks, although down to work commitments I will not be able to check until next Thursday, I will let you know,

Hello again, Yeah it seems as though its intermittently not charging, previously there was 14V across the battery when on tick over, i have checked to day

Ignition off - 13.06. ignition on - 12.91. on tick over 12.4, headlight on 12.1. and at 2500RPM still only 12.4.

I presume this is the reg/rec? or is it the alternator?

Hello again, Yeah it seems as though its intermittently not charging, previously there was 14V across the battery when on tick over, i have checked to day

Ignition off - 13.06. ignition on - 12.91. on tick over 12.4, headlight on 12.1. and at 2500RPM still only 12.4.

I presume this is the reg/rec? or is it the alternator?

Sorted it, the rec/reg had cooked and took the connector with it, melting to the rec/reg. both rec/reg and connector replaced and now charging OK