broken ignition barrel f650gs

frazer

My gs came with a broken ignition barrel, can't get an answer as to why from the previous owner. It doesn't look damaged and I've wired on a cheap ignition barrel and everything works fine. The problem is that I can't afford a bmw one, the cheap one won't fit 100% and there's no steering lock! So before I start work on it today I thought I'd ask if anyone knows a bit about ignition barrels and what the problem could be. I find it difficult to see how a simple switch encased in heavy metal could break with no visible damage.

i would be calling motorworks on monday... see if they have a working used one from a broken donor bike. expect to pay £40 including a key. (if they have one)

you could also try James Sherlock they also break BMWs

How is it broken? Does the key not turn or is it not making contacts when it is turned?

The key turns fine it just doesn't do anything. I'll see if I can get it open when I get it out.

The key turns fine it just doesn't do anything. I'll see if I can get it open when I get it out.

You could get a multi meter on it and see where it's not making contact maybe...

Bob's right that steering locks are crap but if a crook has a choice of a bike with and a bike without, I think I know which one he'll pinch.