Changing my stopping pads

leener

Hi all,

My Sprint RS 955i (2003) is getting horribly close to the metal on the rear calliper pads... Well, one of them is dangerously low. So, I am going to change them, but having trouble finding the right pads - as in finding ones that I know are, beyond reasonable doubt the correct pads.

Probably get these : https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/52687

I have done pads before on a ZZR once (and that was the first time). It was eventually a success, after destroying the bleed "nipple", as it had seized, and having to buy another calliper. I managed to get the brakes to squeeze again.

Has anyone got any tips? (not ABS) :thumb:

Undo bolts that hold pads in and remove pads Check fluid level in reservoir. Pump pistons out about 10mm, make sure fluid in reservoir. Clean and Polish pistons. Remove any crud from near pistons. Push pistons in as far as possible, check reservoir fluid. Fit new pads. Pump pistons out until brakes work. Check fluid level.

Undo bolts that hold pads in and remove pads Check fluid level in reservoir. Pump pistons out about 10mm, make sure fluid in reservoir. Clean and Polish pistons. Remove any crud from near pistons. Push pistons in as far as possible, check reservoir fluid. Fit new pads. Pump pistons out until brakes work. Check fluid level.

Pretty simple stuff. Cheers :thumb:

Just got to find a half decent pair of pads.

Hi Mate, there's a lot of different pads on the triumph's, might be best to check what's fitted then cross reference, if you want EBC, another way is go to EBC DIRECT website, https://ebcbrakesdirect.com they have complete lists available.

If one pad is worn more than the other then I suggest that your caliper needs a proper overhaul . This means pistons right out , seals out and all the muck removed from the grooves that they sit in. New seals are only needed if the old ones are damaged. As for pads just use EBC or DP pads or whatever you prefer. If you can't find the right ones then find a bike garage with an EBC catalogue as this contains life size drawings of every pad there is. Just place the old pads over the drawing. You might want to get some PTFE tape incase the threads that the bleed nipples go into have become stretched and some Red Rubber grease.

:stupid:

And also check that the caliper "floats" correctly......I've seen them where the pins that the caliper floats on are completely seized. I'd be inclined to remove the caliper and give it a thorough overhaul..... :wink:

Pads seem to depend on whether it is a double sided swing arm or single sided......For reference....http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_motorcycle_parts_locator?block_01=&block_02=100066663-0-2&block_03=13108

Cheers, guys. I got me some pads on the way, so I'll wait until it isn't heaving it down and go at it.

Yup, the outer pad is worn and the other is still OK, as in a couple more mm on it. I am going to see if I can find some new seals and clean it up.

:stupid:

And also check that the caliper "floats" correctly......I've seen them where the pins that the caliper floats on are completely seized. I'd be inclined to remove the caliper and give it a thorough overhaul..... :wink:

Pads seem to depend on whether it is a double sided swing arm or single sided......For reference....http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_motorcycle_parts_locator?block_01=&block_02=100066663-0-2&block_03=13108

Very good point, it IS a floating caliper so it needs to move freely on the pins .

• 2 weeks later...

20170923_105519.thumb.jpg.22f19f6db96eaca32b912b30268708fa.jpg

The deed is done. 20170923_105552.thumb.jpg.d2580bf65952ca4c7dde5f77ec3df346.jpg

I did my best with cleaning those pistons. Proper crudded up. Not got seals yet, so only have replaced the pads and cleaned it up. I'll get around to it.

Feels a bit hesitant, but they work...

Cheers for all the info, guys