Thinking of getting some heated grips

leener

Because I ride this Triumph every day, around 100 miles. It's been getting pretty cold lately, so I wanted to buy some. Somebody has some second hand ones on ebay, came off another RS model... They wired them onto the battery, by the looks of the wiring.

I had some before, about 10 years ago on my GPZ500, but used to keep forgetting to turn them off :oops: .

Is there any reason why I can't just shove the wires into the fuse box, or into the ignition?

I think you'd be better off running them through a relay which is controlled by the ignition circuit.....less chance of leaving them on and draining the battery.....and less chance of overloading one of the other circuits..... :wink:

Was just thinking that a relay might be better option.

These are the grips:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000-triumph-sprint-st-955i-heated-grips-/232461713037?hash=item361fcc3e8d:g:5IEAAOSwcrxZdiAW

And I have an electrical diagram... I wonder if there is a "heated handlebar grip connection" on my bike... On page 404/405, item 55 :scratch:. I'll just go check...

http://www.nirvana-motorcycles.com/Triumph%20Sprint%20ST%20RS%20955%20Service%20Manual%201999.pdf

Just checked and fragged if I know where it is. Just got oil and dirt on me hands now, and I'm in the office. I'll have a look tomorrow when I get the toolkit out.

At this rate, its looking like I need to go for a relay.

I'm getting some heated gloves this year.

Grips are alright for palms but do naff all for fingers.

Good luck with that, when I was in the bike accessories business we had nothing but trouble with heated gloves. We sold a high end brand the name of which escapes me but I think almost every pair was returned knackered sooner or later. Waistcoats and socks were equally troublesome, I think the heating elements just weren't flexible enough to withstand everyday stresses.

Heated grips are a must for winter riding, well that's my call l feel they should be a standard fit for all northern European bikes.

As said, far better to have to have the power supply switch via the ignition switch than direct to the battery.

I've also gone one step further and fitted heated seats to the Busa. Have to say what a massive difference it's made to both rider and passenger comfort.

The main battle riding through the winter is keeping yourself warm and dry, this is a area of riding a bike through winter that you cannot compromise.

I'm getting some heated gloves this year.

Grips are alright for palms but do naff all for fingers.

Good luck with that, when I was in the bike accessories business we had nothing but trouble with heated gloves. We sold a high end brand the name of which escapes me but I think almost every pair was returned knackered sooner or later. Waistcoats and socks were equally troublesome, I think the heating elements just weren't flexible enough to withstand everyday stresses.

So far, touchwood, this is the 2nd winter for my RST heated gloves with no problems 🖒

I am looking at similar, I have had Oxford and they are good and hot. When I bought my Trophy I fitted these as the control is on the grip which suited the bike.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ryde-Variable-Temperature-Heated-Motorcycle/dp/B00CJD1PRI/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

They never got as warm as the Oxfords but my hands never really got cold. I think with the oxfords they got to hot and your hands sweated and then cooled.

Sadly having mailed Ryde the response is "This item is currently out of stock and I cannot see any on order, however this may change." :cry:

But these look similar and I am thinking of trying on my TDM as I was so impressed with the Ryde ones I they look Identical.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Heated-Grips-For-Motorbike-Bike-Handlebar-Hot-Warm-Hands-PK/331859959356?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D46150%26meid%3D30e488feefe24ec6af32b37f20d498bc%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D232461713037&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

So, I'm going to get this done tomorrow (weather permitting) and I have a novice plan.

I am going to track down a 30a relay (which should still have on an old loom somewhere).

So this is the plan...

Untitled.thumb.png.7cd33418d6bcd5cdbd1b7dfeeefcfac1.png

Am I on the right tracks?

Balls... I got the wrong grips. :roll:

Yep. They off the old triumph with a single cable for throttle. Guess how many mine has?

Ordered another set, brand new this time, for my bike. If anyone wants some old hats grips off a triumph sprint from pre 2003, let me know. I'm not bothering to chop them to bits to get the goods out. Maybe I'll test them on the spare battery later.

When it all turns up, I'm going to construct a box to contain a relay, a 15a fuse to the relay, and a few more fuses for the other instruments. I need the grips, a camera (for insurance), and a phone charger (just in case). It'll be a busy day when I eventually get all the bits in. Need to find who sells automotive relays.

I've got two of those, both unused. They sent me one and the connectors were round the wrong way so they sent me a second. Not fitted either of them yet!

Oh, dear. I wonder how they go about making them.

The circuit looks very simple. So my plan is to make my own version, with some adaptations. Hopefully with being a software dev, I might have enough of a logical brain to construct something worth producing a lot of to sell online. Knowing my luck, a load would come back complaining of blown fuses, faulty relays, burning bikes, and such. But, I'm happy to give it a go :P

Yeah, easy enough to make your own version. I thought about producing them and selling them but like you, I'm a software guy, and this is very much hardware so not something I'd want to sell and deal with the idiotic customer complaints..

I made my own version, there is a thread here somewhere about it. It works well enough which is why I still have unused ones in my garage.

Yeah, easy enough to make your own version. I thought about producing them and selling them but like you, I'm a software guy, and this is very much hardware so not something I'd want to sell and deal with the idiotic customer complaints..

I made my own version, there is a thread here somewhere about it. It works well enough which is why I still have unused ones in my garage.

I couldn't deal with all the hassle of dealing with people. I used to sell on eBay and the amount of hassle, and how terrible the system is. These days, customers can complain about nothing and get everything for free.

I'm quite happy sitting down and coding away.

The 30a relays are here, my new grips arrived (with a thermostat control), my USB sockets, and just need a few connectors, crimping tool, and decent tape.

Just had a "yellow warning" from the MET office for Sunday. Yellow showers all round, this weekend.