Left bar end is stuck (stripped??)

Foxy Stoat seeks Pig

Finally got round to sorting my relay out today for my heated grips. All seems ok there so I've bought new grips aswell, as right hand one didn't work and grips are worn.

I've removed the right hand bar end, no problems at all. But the left wont budge and i'm worried about using too much force and rounding the bolt head(if it isn't already). What is odd is that that right hand one came off using a 8mm hex. the 8mm hex is too big for the left and a 6mm is too small (just spinning). I'm not completely sure its even a hex, could be a torx. Its pretty mangled and corroded so difficult to see. Was pleased I got the relay set up and now this.

Any way to free these bolts up? even if I have to buy a replacement I need it off before I can put new grip on.

Thanks all!!

I also wonder if it has been bodged before.....not my doing this time :D

Anyway I hammered an 8mm hex bit in just enough to give it enough pressure to loosen the bar end. It's free now and I may be able to reuse it when new grips are on.

I have noticed there was no glue at all on the left side, is this normal? I was planning on using glue on both sides. Actually it's hair spray not glue.

Now I just need to remove the grip from the throttle tube but that's a job for tomorrow.

I do have some proper grip glue somewhere but annoyingly cant find it. Will give hairspray a go I guess.

Just a word of warning I have found hairspray take a long time to dry out so spray fit and leave for ages :wink:

I do have some proper grip glue somewhere but annoyingly cant find it. Will give hairspray a go I guess.

Just a word of warning I have found hairspray take a long time to dry out so spray fit and leave for ages :wink:

I have this problem. Catches me every time I go for a night out and it's windy weather.

I have this problem. Catches me every time I go for a night out and it's windy weather.

:D if I only I had enough hair to be able to use it

So the cheap hairspray fix was unsuccessful. I found the proper grip glue out and that did take hold either. But I think part of the problem is the throttle tube seems too thin. So I may need to bulk it up a bit with some tape so at least there will be something for the glue to grab on too. Also out of grip glue now so is super glue worth a try?? Need to sort it tomorrow ideally.

If you are going to use superglue then you need to be fast and I mean very fast!

I have seen many people glue the grips on halfway and also at the same time find that their hands are glued to the grips :lol:

If you are going to use superglue then you need to be fast and I mean very fast!

I have seen many people glue the grips on halfway and also at the same time find that their hands are glued to the grips :lol:

Yea pretty much my worry. If they are stuck halfway then I'm in a world of s**t, maybe some kind of no more nails type adhesive, should give me a bit longer to slide the grip onto the bar.

I've never glued grips on - I just wind insulating tape round the bars until they're a tight fit.

I have given it one wrap so far and its much tighter, I think one more wrap will possibly be too tight though. Never imagined it would be such a faff. :D

Depending on the quality of the tape heated grips may cause the adhesive to dissolve and loosen its grip ..

Hence why hair spray type adhesive is used as it retains its cohesion with heat .

Well you called it!! I just used tape but right handgrip is stuck about 3/4 of the way along the bar. Can't shift it either way now. Looks like I'm going to have to cut it off order a new grip and start over. At least the relay works fine :D

Don't give up on it yet!

If it's only taped then you can persuade it on with a rubber or wooden mallet. If you can get a WD40 straw in there then that'll help it off.

I tried the mallet but that just bent up the end, which also means I cant a wd40 straw in there. it doesn't want to budge either way.

I would have stuck (pun intended) to the superglue and be quick method :lol:

get a screwdriver under it with a bit of WD40 they are usually really flexible and will allow a bit of stretch

Unless they are heated grips!