kawasaki vn900 rear wheel

mister-t

had a grinding and clunking noise coming from the rear wheel,so checked bearings and it seems rear pulley bearing has had it,so going to replace all the bearings,pulley and rear wheel,now this may sound like a stupid question,should the pulley side wheel spacer turn with the wheel?

as always thanks for any help

no its the one that sits in the front of the pulley,between the frame and the pulley,axle goes through frame,then spacer then wheel,spacer sits on front of the pulley bearing,hope i have explained it better.there a 2 spacers one long one short,long spacer goes pulley side short spacer goes other side,both spacers touch the outer faces of the bearings on either side of the wheel

just another quick question,do you think it would be worth while changing the spacer/or as kawasaki call it the collar,as not sure if its in great condition

as not got another one to compare it to,not sure how long it had been turning for so maybe could of wore down? so not giving a tight fit on the part where it touches the bearing,as always any advice always appreciated

Do you know why it was turning?

aint got a clue why it was turning,everything was put back as per the manual,back axle was torqued up to 80ft lb,i even measured the spacer with an electronic digital caliper and they are within the spec, will order a new one,i would expect problems on a older high mileage bike but not one that is only

3yrs old with just over 4000 miles on the clock,anyway thanks again for your help

The spacers form a tube from one side of the swingarm to the other. When the rear spindle nut is correctly tightened, none of the spacers should turn. You have more than a problem with that spacer.

well i will see how things pan out when everything is put back together,if it happens again then i just dont know what else it could be,it was only the pulley side spacer that turned and only the pulley bearing that was bad,

there should have been a spacer that sits behind the pulley bearing as well as the one in front that was missing,seems who ever had the bike before me had removed the wheel and forgot to put it back on,so touch wood everything should be fine