Idle a bit funky at times

leener

Hi all, again

Hoping to get a little light shed on this from some experts, before I start attacking the problem - as I'm likely to overlook something relatively simple.

I have my fuel injected Triumph Sprint 955i that has been running OK. But, lately has had some issues with the idle bogging down for no obvious reason.

It had a 10156 fuel map on it for a long time, and the idle was fine until the other day when it stalled on clutch-in (I was slowing down). I noticed how the idle was bogging around 800-1100, so kept some throttle on constantly to avoid another stall.

On Saturday, I then changed to the 10152 fuel map for the speed triple and that has really smoothed everything out a lot. But, the idle still has problems.

Sometimes it is idling absolutely fine, even after ragging around, but then out of the blue it goes dangerously low.

I'll take a stab in the dark and guess oxygen sensor possibly?

Cheers guys.

Just checked it over quickly - the battery is low, the charging system isn't giving anywhere NEAR enough juice, and I can feel it struggling at low rpm now, with an engine light on.

Here we k'in go... Where to start. :cry:

The Reg/rec and stator coils are a common failure on these bikes......also check the condition of the connector to the Reg/rec as they can get cooked..... :shock:

There's a lot of info on checking and upgrading the charging circuit components on the TriumphRAT forum..... 8-)

Also.....Make sure it's not a duff battery, that's pulling the charging voltage down.....how old is the battery?

No idea on the age of the battery, but it wasn't doing so well when I tested it out a moment ago. It's a ytx14.

Pre start, the battery was around 12.6v.

On running, it would go down, and up slightly.

On revving, it could go to around 13 at high rpm but dropped to 10 as I revved it up.

Another battery (smaller ytx12) I kept spare wasn't fully charged, but showed a solid 12.4 pre start.

On running, it idled around 12.4/5.

Revving took it up, climbing to 14v at 4k.

Released throttle and it was at 12.6v.

On start, the load didn't stress it below 11.

That tells me that the old battery is kaput. What do you think?

Sounds duff to me.

You can probably pack out the 12 until you get another 14.

I think that's what I'll do. I haven't even rigged up my heated grips yet.

While I was getting my front tyre changed, the mechanic checked the charging as it ran (had to jump it, because it was flat by the time I got there). And, we got 11v, barely getting any higher with revs. He said, straight away that he suspects a fault in the charging system, but being as it's a pain to get to the rectifier (next to rear suspension) and it seems to be OK with another battery, I'll play it by ear for now. Might hold off fitting the grips.

Think it's stuffed anyway. I hooked up the old ytx12 battery and got it from home to work (50-ish miles). The clock died on the M5, until I turned the lights off, and the digits came back again. I kept plodding along and got the multimeter out the second I got off. Reading about 11v :roll:.

I got it on charge now. The Haynes manual didn't give much info on the rectifier. Looks like I'll need to do some diagnostics.

Consider doing the Series regulator mod, if you intend keeping the bike..... 8-)

I read up a bit of information on here that will be useful...

https://www.motohowto.com/content/replacing-stator-and-rr-rectifier-regulator-triumph-speed-triple-2006

I managed to find another stator that claims to be better than the OEM one. The regulator might have issues, so I'll get that off at some point soon and check the diodes.

It's just a nightmare finding the time to get everything done.

That stator was the most fried that I've seen.

It certainly seems to be a widespread issue with these bikes. Ah, well - new alternatory-stator winding thingymajig should be here hopefully this week, so that will be fitted at the earliest chance I get.

As for the bike garage up here that I asked about part ex'ing, they came back about it, offering me £1k offset against a £2.2k Honda Blackbird... Been umming and arring about it...

Finally got round to changing the stator and it is perfect, with the exception of a few the bolts shearing when trying to torque up the cover. It hadn't been opened since birth, so that gasket was fun to scrape off. Took me over an hour. No idea where to get the 8mm bolts.

Finally got round to changing the stator and it is perfect, with the exception of a few the bolts shearing when trying to torque up the cover. It hadn't been opened since birth, so that gasket was fun to scrape off. Took me over an hour. No idea where to get the 8mm bolts.

Sure they are m8 not m6 ?

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_motorcycle_parts_locator?block_01=&block_02=100066637-0-2&block_03=13108

Part 20

That's the ones - part 20. Found some new ones and got them on order... Not really sure on the torque settings, now.

I rode it in to Cheltenham and forgot my tester. I wanted to verify it was still giving me 14+ volts, but it felt fine riding it in, all of the way. Fingers crossed, no more issues. The idle was spot on.

Whoopsie! They needed replacing anyway. I have a crude fix to the coolant pipe, due to not having enough time to get a jubilee clip (or equivalent) - so I have two cable ties holding it tight :wink: . I need to spend some good quality time with my bike, replacing the coolant, brake fluid, check valve clearances, and eventually replace that fuel gauge (since once of the wires has come out of it... can't fix that).