Triumph Tiger 900 - Difficulty starting

TriTiger

Hi all,

New to the forum and relatively new to biking (passed DAS in May), but loving every minute.

My old man donated his non-running Triumph Tiger 900 (carbs) to me a few month ago, which needed some work to get running. I commute on the bike daily, which starts like a dream every morning, using full choke to fire up, but running smoothly after only a few minutes. Lately, I have had a bit of difficulty getting started when I get on to go home in the evening, using the same full choke to begin with procedure. I've tried it with varying levels of choke from cold at the end of the evening, without much luck. It eventually has started each time, but sounding and feeling quite lumpy until she warms through.

I get that the direction of the wind and the colour of my socks effect how much choke is required from day to day, but any thoughts on what could be happening to mean the bike doesn't like full choke even after being in the car park when I get on 8+ hours later?

Cheers,

M.

Welcome to TMBF mate. . . . . . pop over to the Newbies section and introduce yourself to the guys when you can. ....... 8-)

When you say that it required some work to get it going, did this include air filter, oil and filer and plugs?......how quickly does it spin over when starting (these bikes really do need a decent battery or you can damage the spray clutch, which costs a fortune to repair!)......pull the plugs and check their colour to see how the mixture is......check the fuel tap to make sure it's operating correctly. ...... :wink:

Free the clutch, tickle the carb,put on a bit of choke, switch on, then with one foot on the kick start launch yourself into the air , straighten your leg and bring your full weight down on the lever while applying a little throttle. If the resulting explosion hasn't broken your ankle repeat the process until the bike fires up. And that's how you start a Triumph Tiger . Welcome to the forum. Errm , you did say Tiger 90 didn't you ?

It seems as if I tempted fate - the old bird broke down on the motorway on Sunday morning. Sit tight for an epic tale of woe. :crybaby:

Loss of power, throttle unresponsive as revs died off, stalled at about 30 mph and I came to graceful halt at the side of the M27. Symptoms of running out of fuel, though no warning light came on. Gave it a shake, fuel definitely in tank, tried starting it with no luck, many expletives shouted into helmet. Ring the missus to pick me up.

I was on my way to a Navy course, so had to leave her on the side of the road (the Tiger, not the missus). Highway Agency were on the phone threatening to impound it, and as neither of us have breakdown cover, had to phone up and call out a man to recover. By the time he gets there, she fires straight away, and he calls back to say it starts and that I'm an idiot.

Eventually get back to the bike, hop on, starts up fine and runs at idle fairly smoothly (though sounding worse for wear). Peel off at the nearest junction, 5 mins into town driving and guess what? It's got no guts through the gears, it's running very rough and hey presto, conk out once again. Symptoms of running out of fuel once again. Check the fuel tap, definitely in "ON" and ring the man again to come get me and please take me and my bike home.

Bike is currently at the garage that got it running in the first place, competing theories so far:

1. Cracked ECU (not sure about this one, the 2nd recovery man suggested it)

2. Coils done in (the 1st recovery man suggested it)

3. Fuel breather tube blockage (my Dads suggestion)

4. Something to do with the fuel system (my very concise suggestion).

Will keep you posted as the story continues! At this rate there may well be a Tiger 900 up for sale very soon...

I'll take a guess at a pinched or detached vacuum pipe to the fuel tap . This is the one that regulates fuel flow by opening the diaphragm when the engine is running. If it runs ok on the " Pri " position this will confirm it. It might be a punctured diaphragm because this would produce the same symptoms as well. Easy enough to replace, you can get rebuild kits for most bikes , try Wemoto.

• 2 weeks later...

Update time - turns out the original assumption was correct, I am an idiot.

After a thorough inspection at the workshop, there was nothing obvious wrong and they could not replicate the symptoms. Coils were ok, crank position sensor was fine, breather tube was checked and was clear. I took the tank off and lo and behold, the fuel warning switch was not connected! So, I'd unknowlingly gone below the main tank level (fuel tap to ON), which gave the first set of fuel starvation symptoms. The man at the side of the road had set it to RESERVE and started it at the side of the road, but didn't tell me that, and switched it back to OFF. When I came to the bike again, I switched it to ON as there was no indication that the fuel was too low and the recovery dude told me there was defintely enough fuel in it. Same issue again, a mile down the road after consuming the fuel in the lines, starved it again.

Low fuel sensor is now reconnected and working, so with a full tank of fuel I'm back on the road! Lesson learned - READ THE OWNERS MANUAL.

Thanks for your suggestions gents,

Max.