Bandit died

Neal

Hi

Was out on the bandit today all of a sudden it died, the gauges was dead, wouldn’t start waited about a hour for a mate to

Pick me up and it started, every time since then it has started no problems

Think a fuse is out the question so could it be

Battery

Regulator Rectifier ??

Or something else

Cheers

Something electrical,possibly under the tank, might have melted or gone crispy . Prime candidate the connector for the ignition switch.

Edited by fastbob

A lot of suzuki's have a main loom up the right hand side of the bike this carries all power from the ignition and to the clocks etc they are known for water ingress and the connectors corroding!

Have a look to see if the bandit is the same

Hi, As Stu has said, r/h side under tank the Main red lead comes apart in Block connector. just bridge it out with new bit of cable, leave rest in block.

Thanks for all the replies 👍

Got lots to go on and check 👍

1 more thing After I was stuck on side of road for a hour waiting for lift i tried a number times to start it nothing no electrics I tried again but pulled in front brake first ? Started on the button Could something have got pinched ? By the front brake ?

Once again guys thanks for the reply’s 🍻🍺🍻

Check the back of the Ignition switch, maybe loose wire that end, but nothing up near starter button/front brake would knock out whole circuit. Only the starting circuit.

Best think to do would be to start bike(if you can) and lightly move wires to see if cuts out again. :D

Hi quickest way to see if charging problem with the RR, is to charge battery up, then run bike and check across Battery terminals with Multi meter to see what voltage you have? Another way, look at lights and see if they get brighter when you rev the engine, if they do then probably nothing wrong, have you checked under the tank? Because if it just cut out once, would look at wiring fault first.

if the alternator is similar to the picture then they are not a sealed unit and can be opened up. The rectified and regulator are replaceable, (looks similar to the set up on my GPX).

You need to get a service manual for the test procedure and values. should be able to get one off the net.

But before taking this apart check all the connections from the battery as others have said.

lve Looked under tank can’t see nothing wrong

Tested the battery with multimeter was fine

Checked the earths ,,,fine

Starts and runs first time now

1 thing I did notice

On Friday I had it serviced whilst I there I brought some new rear indicators which they fitted,,when I was looking around yesterday I noticed thered wired them in wrong (striped to black ,striped to red on the fitting instructions it stats striped to striped ) could this have been the culprit as all the problems started since then ?

If the new indicators were the problem then I'd expect it to still not start. Unlikely that new indicators would cause an intermittent problem. Check for current leakage just to make sure the way they are wired isn't causing a drain though (take the negative terminal off the battery and put a multimeter set to read current between the terminal and the negative connector).

I've know battery terminals to crack internally which give random deadness when you least expect it.

When you had the tank off did you separate every block connector and inspect for signs of melting, blackening or green gunk on the spades and inside the female halves ? Sometimes a connector can melt internally, fail , then work again as the melted material burns away due to shorting. This might explain why your bike appears to have cured itself. I've seen a few connectors that looked ok from the outside but were charred to a crisp on the inside and still working.

Well the old bandit had a new twist today

Saturday died no power came back after a hour

Sunday ran fine checked everything couldn’t see nothing wrong

Monday started and ran fine took her out for a blast no problems

Tuesday 10 Mins into journey to work she started to splutter and miss fire turned round got 5 Mins from home and she died

It turns over but won’t start

Will check connections under tank if can’t see nothing it’s off to the garage

Thanks for the reply’s guys

Yes it has s spark and all other electronics are working fine

Seems to me something’s over heating cause it only happens when it’s warmed up

As I said Saturday I lost all electric but today it started to miss fire ? :cry: