Lexmoto XTRS problem with charging

rider555

Hi

I'm after a bit of help with Lexmoto XTRS from 2016, having problem with charging the battery and not sure if is the stator/magneto or voltage regulator, I made a 2nd hand purchase yesterday and I know it had brand new battery fitted and after 1h ride by the time I got home lights ware like candles, so I check with multimeter and showed 11.8v so battery dead, no much I could do but run my car for a bit to get some power back in to battery today, now the bike starts but lights are very dim, when I rev the bike up lights won't go any brighter, I did unplug the voltage regulator and tested voltage on plug before it gets to regulator shows 12.8 but when I rev bike up it won't go up, once regulator plugged in voltage on pins drops down to 8.6v and regulator gets very hot, interesting thing is I have 2 plug from voltage regulator and both have 3 pins each, everywhere I looked replacement only showing 5 in total 3 on 1 plug and 2 on the other.

At this time not sure what to do with out chucking money away on spare parts that I might not need so if anyone could advice would should look and check please let me know. I checked connectors coming from stator/magneto and regulator also cleaned them with contact cleaner.

Thanks

I had a look on ebay , you're right it is puzzling regarding the two plugs . The three yellow wires is as I would expect, that's the input from the alternator which has three phases but three out is less common. I don't know what the extra wire would be.

I have someone coming over with more advance multimeter to check power output on stator plug that way I can veryfi which bit has gone faulty, I just can't remember now how many wires leading to regulator there is at the moment and is to dark in garage to have a look. If I'm sure there is only 5 going from bike to regulator but there is 6 coming from regulator.

Will post back tomorrow my findings.

I managed to find info on the 6th wire, might help some one 1 day

"A 6th wire allows the voltage regulator to measure the positive voltage in your wiring loom, helping to maintain a stable voltage under load"

https://www.lambertsbikes.co.uk/product/6-wire-3-phase-motorcycle-regulator-rectifier-black-12v-dc/

So a little update, Friend of mine turned up and i wanted to show him whats going on but for some reason it started to work as it should, so I was happy with that we check everything and worked fine, decided to go for ride, 30 min later pulled over looked at my headlights and to my disbelieve back to same problem.

Anyone know what should be the voltage comeing out of Stator? idle and reving

Does the regulator should get hot? I understand it gets warm but shouldn't over heat

Also I removed that big nut on stator side and notice a bit of oil come out.

I do apologize if the silly question, I'm happy striping car to bits ect. but motorbikes is all new to me.

Gone back to garage and notice when I remove plug from stator to regulator the phase one with 3 yellow wires bike picks revs up and I have nice 40-60v going in on plug but as soon as I plug regulator plug in revs drops and only low voltage.

OK bike is all sorted now, lets hope it stays this way until I get my full licence, new regulator fitted, after charging battery on bench overnight all lights working and when bike is running I have steady charge current.

Sounds like a bundle of joy, that bike of yours.

I recently had charging issues with mine, but the lights weren't affected, unless the power really dropped low. In that case, the digits off the digital display would disappear, also.

Typically, (from what I learnt), if the lights change with the revs, then you'll be suspecting the reg/rec. Otherwise, probably the stator, or both.

Don't buy anything until you do your homework. I asked here first and got a wealth of useful info from the guys.

My first test was going to be the reg/rec, but that was a bugger to get to on my bike. So, I unplugged the stator from the loom (3-pins), and while the bike was running, and checked the voltage. I wasn't expecting a flat ZERO, but that is what I got. I pulled the cover off the stator and had no resistance (should have a magnetic pull). Sure enough, it was burnt to a crisp. So, new one on and boom - charging 14+ volts, instead of battery being at 12.5...12.4....12.3...

The other thing (if the stator was fine) would have been to disconnect the reg/rec and check each pin to test each diode. There are a few tutorials on YT on how to do this. But, even if the diode test proves nothing, there still could be issues with it. But, you already replaced that.

Fingers crossed it keeps working for you.

Sounds like a bundle of joy, that bike of yours.

I recently had charging issues with mine, but the lights weren't affected, unless the power really dropped low. In that case, the digits off the digital display would disappear, also.

Typically, (from what I learnt), if the lights change with the revs, then you'll be suspecting the reg/rec. Otherwise, probably the stator, or both.

Don't buy anything until you do your homework. I asked here first and got a wealth of useful info from the guys.

My first test was going to be the reg/rec, but that was a bugger to get to on my bike. So, I unplugged the stator from the loom (3-pins), and while the bike was running, and checked the voltage. I wasn't expecting a flat ZERO, but that is what I got. I pulled the cover off the stator and had no resistance (should have a magnetic pull). Sure enough, it was burnt to a crisp. So, new one on and boom - charging 14+ volts, instead of battery being at 12.5...12.4....12.3...

The other thing (if the stator was fine) would have been to disconnect the reg/rec and check each pin to test each diode. There are a few tutorials on YT on how to do this. But, even if the diode test proves nothing, there still could be issues with it. But, you already replaced that.

Fingers crossed it keeps working for you.

Lexmoto are bundle of joy :lol: , fix 1 thing then something else goes wrong,

I did test diode before I went ahead with replacement of the reg, there reason why the lights wouldn't work because the regulator/rectifier have DRL lights build in to regulator, there is 2 version of reg/rec for them lexmoto one with DRL and one with out.

I'm not whippersnapper so I know my way around cars ect but just been quick learning curve how motorbikes works, mine just haven seen much love at all but I will get there.

It was very cheap purchase to remind me what is like riding before I get my Full licence and if I still like been on motorbike. " call it midlife crisis" :shock: