First time changing engine oil

owlis

Hey guys!

Just changing the engine oil on my Mash Black 7.

First time bike, and don't have many/any biker friends who are showing me the ropes.

Just drained the engine oil, but when I took the cap off, a spring and a bolt came out from inside. They're obviously meant to be there, but which way round they go back in isn't something I know.

Spring first, with bolt pressing against the cap? Or bolt first, with spring pressing against the cap?

The user manual is very brief and written in patchy chinglish.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,

Oz

It's the cap from underneath, where the old oil drains out from. ( on the left ). And to it's right, is the little ... well it's not really a bolt, it has no weave, it's just like a bullet that tucks inside that spring.

IMG_6535.thumb.jpg.e06a936edd529db9ffbc9fc56d0a9bd4.jpg

That thing on the right has nothing to do with the oil drain. Looks like part of the gear selection mechanism. Got a bigger pic cycle of it?

I know this is a common mistake people make with the Suzuki VanVan engine - removing the gear selector blanking plug instead of the oil drain plug - and what comes out looks just like that.

Good post MB. In that case it could be the gearbox selector detent spring and ball end. The spring goes in first whilst the ball end is inserted in the spring. Screw the plug in carefully with a new washer or sealant, then stroke the gearbox.

Edited by megawatt

That thing on the right has nothing to do with the oil drain. Looks like part of the gear selection mechanism. Got a bigger pic cycle of it?

I know this is a common mistake people make with the Suzuki VanVan engine - removing the gear selector blanking plug instead of the oil drain plug - and what comes out looks just like that.

Yep , I'd go with that theory. Many bikes have blanking plugs or gallery plugs that ( quite understandably ) get mistaken for drain plugs. I reckon it goes back in spring first. I wouldn't worry too much but I probably would undo the real one incase the first one didn't let all of the oil out .

Here's a drawing of a very similar set of parts on a Suzuki GN 125 so I reckon MB & MW have got it spot on. It's basically a spring loaded stopper that limits the movement of the selector drum . http://i.imgur.com/1jnDO2T.png the spring seems to be in a different place but designs will vary although the function is the same.

Is the piece inside the spring the filter? Will it go together like this;

">

Aside from the fact that my spring doesn't click in, it just sits on top, that is what i'm looking at.

Thanks for that link. Think the problem is solved.

Others are saying that it's part of gear selection. Why then did it drop out covered in oil when I undid the cap? Hmmm. Hopefully we're right.

Yep , I'd go with that theory. Many bikes have blanking plugs or gallery plugs that ( quite understandably ) get mistaken for drain plugs. I reckon it goes back in spring first. I wouldn't worry too much but I probably would undo the real one incase the first one didn't let all of the oil out .

Right, right. That's interesting. Seems silly that they'd have the drain plug right next to gear selector banking plug ... and that both would drain the oil ... a bit deceptive.

I'll see whether the clutch is working :S

Would I not be able to change gears if it were the gear selector plug that I removed?

What ? Please don't try to change gear with the plug and spring removed. Why would you even think of doing that? This is an important part of the gearbox , it stops the selector drum going round too far. If you leave it out all the strain will be applied to the selector forks . OK , yes the gearbox might still work but its just not a good idea to mess with things . Tip, when you put it back I think it would be wise to have the bike in 2nd or 3rd gear as this may make it easier to locate.

It will come out covered in oil and drain the oil because the engine and transmission share the same oil. I know a few folk who didn't realize there was a separate drain bolt and always drained the oil by removing the transmission selector retaining bolt. So long as they put it back the right way round it didn't do any harm

But I've also known people buy a second hand bike and have gear selection problems, then discover the previous owner had been draining the oil via the selector plug and got the selector back in with part of it upside down.

Patchy Chinglish or not I somehow doubt that even the worst of owners handbooks would not show a clear picture or diagram of exactly where the oil drain plug is located.....ok ignore that statement, I've just seen the owners handbook for the Mash QM 125, that is very vague so all is forgiven.http://i.imgur.com/m4Kk2kC.png Could even be wrong by the looks of it, I would have thought it was nearer the front.

Well look what I found on this very forum..http://i.imgur.com/bnHGtfR.png and here's the reply I posted back then. This one looks a lot more like the parts in question and definitely suggests that the spring goes in after the stopper. You will have to work backwards through pit stop posts to page 5 entitled Help!! to find the full thread ( April 24 ).http://i.imgur.com/FTVKP36.png