Amperage

Guest Mangraviti

Hello fellow bikers.

I'm new to this forum and I am also really crap at electrics.

I use a CB500F 2014 to work as a courier and I am having a bit of trouble with it.

Here is my situation: As I work for this company, they offer me a workshop where I can service and repair the bike and pay the garage in installments. Since I am broke, I agreed to these terms and allowed them to do some stuff for me.

I had the normal oil change and tyres done plus an Oxford set of heated grips and a Bikeit USB charger fitted to the handlebars.

The thing is... The "mechanic" who did it for me soldered both the heated grips and the USB charger somewhere in the ignition (so they only work when the ignition is on). However, the USB charger doesn't put up enough juice to actually charge the satnav. It does show up as "charging" when it's plugged but the battery drains faster than it can charge. And the charger is rated at 2amps.

So I am wondering if there is something wrong with the charger or if this is to be expected as I have heated grips and a charger running from the same place and the amperage is messed up because of that. I mean, 2amps should be more than enough to charge a phone as my previous USB charger had 1amp and it charged fine when plugged directly to the bike's battery.

Your help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Welcome to TMBF mate. ........ 8-)

You're best off just using this section for introductions. ......so I'll move this post to Pitstop, where you're more likely to get answers to your problem..... 8-)

I guess it depends on whether you're using the screen on the satnav or just voice guidance........when I use my phone for the satnav on the bike I have the screen on, so the charger just keeps the phone going, but it doesn't charge as such unless the screen is off.......and my charger is 2A...... :wink: