Routine oil change but found this.....

Foxy Stoat seeks Pig

When I loosened off the sump nut these bits fell out with the washer in the drip pan.

SNdrAui.jpg

Y6qcCpR.jpg

It looks like thread from the sump.

I have put new oil in and the washer and nut has tightened ok. I have had the bike running so it's hot and there is no leakage. Not been out for a run on it yet though.

Not sure why/how this has happened.

Hi, Its just a spring washer, it keeps the nut on very tight, you will find these around your bike, you don't need it on, if you find you are having to tighten the nut up more than, normal, then just put on another spring washer, dave

Hi, Its just a spring washer, it keeps the nut on very tight, you will find these around your bike, you don't need it on, if you find you are having to tighten the nut up more than, normal, then just put on another spring washer, dave

Looks too thin too be a spring washer imo.

I think it's stripped although nut still tightened. so the last time it was tightened it must have stripped??

Hold on a minute, what's this thing made of ? It's white right ? So is it metal or plastic?

I'm going to have to Google that :D

ctl620inser.jpg

Instead of retapping a thread you make it slightly larger and thread this in as a new original sized thread

If not fully/ correctly inserted they can break off the end but the main section remains hence it tightens

You don't have spring washers on sump plugs , how would the sump washer form an oil tight seal ?

I'm going to have to Google that :D

ctl620inser.jpg

Instead of retapping a thread you make it slightly larger and thread this in as a new original sized thread

If not fully/ correctly inserted they can break off the end but the main section remains hence it tightens

The nut is on tight now with no leakage but this looks like a fix going forward. Is it difficult to do?

I think it's stripped although nut still tightened. so the last time it was tightened it must have stripped??

Hold on a minute, what's this thing made of ? It's white right ? So is it metal or plastic?

It's metal pieces

Right, ill go with part of a Helicoil as well then. How about an extreme close up ?

:crybaby:

It's metal pieces

Right, ill go with part of a Helicoil as well then. How about an extreme close up ?

Best I can do with my lousy camera phone and poor photography skills :)

3XZMDno.jpg

CeQSmVR.jpg

5ERh3cq.jpg

TeZrMGr.jpg

You’ve not got my old bike have you? :lol:

You have had the same issue??

I cracked my sump and stripped the thread a little. Check for cracks and put the plug back in with some RTV silicone and you should be ok.

No cracks in sump as far as I can see, plug and washer is already back in and 3 litres of new oil. I didn't think to use any silicone though.

Doesn't look shiny enough for a helicoil. The cross section is diamond shaped. Looks like alloy thread or thread insert. Either way, you will probably have to repair the sump thread eventually.

It's metal pieces

Best I can do with my lousy camera phone and poor photography skills :)

3XZMDno.jpg

CeQSmVR.jpg

5ERh3cq.jpg

TeZrMGr.jpg

Ok thanks for that , the bad news first, these now look like ripped out pieces of thread . They have a smooth triangular shape on the inside but are rough and flat on the outside suggesting that they have been broken away from the sump. The good news is that it hasn't already been Helicoiled so that is a repair that a good engineer can easily carry out. I don't know but there is a very good chance that the whole sump casting can be removed with the engine in the frame. If you do remove it this will present a rare opportunity to inspect the oil strainer gause and clean it if necessary,something that very rarely gets done in the life of a bike . An alternative might be to get a sump off eBay.

Edited by fastbob