New air filter

Fixed split hose

It ran fine for a few days

Came home from work

Sat at lights

Had a strong smell of petrol and she wanted to die

Kept revs on didn’t have much power felt like there was a blockage

Carried on abit and it cleared

Carried on home about a mile no problems I thought it was a blockage and it cleared

Got to the drive of my house and it happened again

Strong smell of petrol and it wants to die have to keep revs on

Or it cuts out

Any ideas guys

Bandit 2003 600

Stuck float valve I reckon. The smell of petrol,the poor running and the fact that it clears up again when the surplus fuel is burnt off all point to this conclusion . Usually it's a tiny bit of debris behind one float needle. Sometimes you can flush it through by draining the carbs and then putting the tap on prime. Then drain the carbs again to flush it out of the bowls . This isn't 100% reliable but it's worked for me a few times .

Going to give this a try fastbob

How long do I leave it on pri for ?

Cheers

Ok, it goes like this, open each drain screw one at a time. You will need a long screwdriver to reach the inboard carbs and be sure its a good fit because the screws are soft brass and you don't want to wreck the slots. There will be spillage so its best to do this outside. You can do the next bit two ways . With all the screws still open you can stick it on prime for 5 seconds or so making sure that fuel flows freely from all four carbs . Alternatively you can close all the screws , put it on prime for a minute, switch back to the on position then drain all the bowls again before closing the screws for the final time. After all the spilt petrol has thoroughly evaporated stick it back on prime to fill up the bowls then what you could do is leave it like that for a minute or two to see if any petrol dribbles out . If it does , it hasn't worked. If it doesn't switch back to the on position and go for a few spins around the block. Good luck.

Right just had a quick go at this and realised I need a longer screw driver 😡

Anyway I fired it up and found the down pipes

Pipes 1&4 was hot

Pipes 2&3 was cold

Does this mean the floats are stuck or bunged up in carbs 2&3 ?

Thanks

Right first thing now, have you a spark on either 2 or 3, because if 1 & 4 are firing and 2 & 3 not, I would check spark, I know you smelled petrol, but that might be because 2 & 3 not firing. And also check plugs in 2 & 3 to see if wet!

Ok

So pulled plugs getting NO spark from plugs 2&3

Tested by pulling plug resting in block started the bike no spark

It still started with plug out

Plugs are brand new

So does this rule carbs out ?

Just a Thought ........You said new spark plugs

This is gonna sound incredible but did you buy them from Ebay?

Because Ebay is flooded with counterfeit spark plugs believe it or not,

I was conned from a reputable seller and sent fake plugs the year before last!! They worked ok for about 100 miles then went down hill fast

Just google fake spark plugs

Edited by SlowBusa

hi, looks like carbs ok, most bandits will start and tick over on 2 cylinders, so first thing is to get a spark, try a couple different plugs, even take out one from either 1 or 4, which you know are working then put one not sparking in 1 or 4< if you follow my meaning. And all plugs can become duff, even new ones