Bike won't pull above 45

Jevi

My son has a Lexmoto Arizona, its his first bike since taking his CBT. We've had a few problems/gremlin's and I've had to replace a couple of things ( bulbs, kick start pedal and switchgear)

Anyway, after first attempt at fixing the indicator's he took a test ride, he was out may be an hour and came back complaining that the bike had got up to about 45 and wouldn't go any faster ( oh and the indicator's had stopped working after about 30 mins).

I've sorted the indicator's ( loose connection on relay) and after reading several item's on the pitstop forum I've checked the battery connections and the air filter. The bike starts from cold on the button with the choke fully open. I've let it sit idling for about 5 mins and gradually closed the choke. I've found that if I fully close the choke the bike stutters and dies.

Is it possible that I haven't let it warm up enough?

Would this have anything to do with the lack of power when riding?

As I said I couldn't see anything wrong with the air filter and with the bike running if I put my hand over the mouth of the filter box the engine dies so I don't think we have any leaking hose's.

Can anyone give me a clue where to look next?

My son has a Lexmoto Arizona, its his first bike since taking his CBT. We've had a few problems/gremlin's and I've had to replace a couple of things ( bulbs, kick start pedal and switchgear)

Anyway, after first attempt at fixing the indicator's he took a test ride, he was out may be an hour and came back complaining that the bike had got up to about 45 and wouldn't go any faster ( oh and the indicator's had stopped working after about 30 mins).

I've sorted the indicator's ( loose connection on relay) and after reading several item's on the pitstop forum I've checked the battery connections and the air filter. The bike starts from cold on the button with the choke fully open. I've let it sit idling for about 5 mins and gradually closed the choke. I've found that if I fully close the choke the bike stutters and dies.

As I said I couldn't see anything wrong with the air filter and with the bike running if I put my hand over the mouth of the filter box the engine dies so I don't think we have any leaking hose's.

Hi Jevi

First of all I wouldn't go by what the speedo is saying if that is what he is indicating to reference speed, my lexmoto speedo showing 75 when I'm doing 60, not bad if it was 75 but is not, ask him if it feels like the bike is accelerating but maybe just not showing? For choke I start mine up and I can manage only about 30-60 sec on choke then I have to fully open other wise bike will die, just adjust your idle screw a bit on carb and see if this will improve, could be just jets and carb need good cleaning, not a hard job, check your throttle cable going to carb, does your model have EGR valve?

Link to near the same carb, will show you some basics and what is responsible for what

http://www.ccwthariders.com/uploads/9/7/7/9/9779070/pz_carb_tuning_manual.pdf

Hello Tango - I might have just made it worse cos I've added another gallon to the tank today. I probably should have drained it first because I don't know how long the bike was standing before we got it.

Rantmachime - he was on he level but might have had a head wind.

Rider555 - I'm a bit wary of touching the carb but I'll give it a go with some carb cleaner and see what happens

Hello Tango - I might have just made it worse cos I've added another gallon to the tank today. I probably should have drained it first because I don't know how long the bike was standing before we got it.

Rantmachime - he was on he level but might have had a head wind.

Rider555 - I'm a bit wary of touching the carb but I'll give it a go with some carb cleaner and see what happens

Try the bike with fuel added now, if is bit better then next drain, clean carb, refuel and go for ride.

Hi Jevi

First of all I wouldn't go by what the speedo is saying if that is what he is indicating to reference speed, my lexmoto speedo showing 75 when I'm doing 60, not bad if it was 75 but is not, ask him if it feels like the bike is accelerating but maybe just not showing? For choke I start mine up and I can manage only about 30-60 sec on choke then I have to fully open other wise bike will die, just adjust your idle screw a bit on carb and see if this will improve, could be just jets and carb need good cleaning, not a hard job, check your throttle cable going to carb, does your model have EGR valve?

Link to near the same carb, will show you some basics and what is responsible for what

:offtopic: ...ish. how could you measure speed with out access to a speed gun? I'm curious to know if I'm doing the speeds my bike says I'm doing

Hi Jevi

:offtopic: ...ish. how could you measure speed with out access to a speed gun? I'm curious to know if I'm doing the speeds my bike says I'm doing

Easy, GPS app and I had also friend on another bike to compare result

Think we're sorted, pulled the plug and found it to be very black and wet. Cleaned it up and checked the gapping before refitting, my son got up to 60 (downhill,wind assisted). I've got a colortune plug so will have a go at setting up the carb and will be fitting an inline fuel filter to stop any crap in the tank buggering up the flow.

Think we're sorted, pulled the plug and found it to be very black and wet. Cleaned it up and checked the gapping before refitting, my son got up to 60 (downhill,wind assisted). I've got a colortune plug so will have a go at setting up the carb and will be fitting an inline fuel filter to stop any crap in the tank buggering up the flow.

Good news mate......check that the air filter isn't clogged, which would make it run rich...... :wink:

glad you got it sorted, I had to google it what you mean by colortune plug :scratch: , after quick read very handy thing to have :thumb: , might invest in one