Chain slap when in correct tension?

Westbeef

Alreeeet

My chain (I think, open to other suggestions) is rattling on the underside of my swing arm and the tension is correct. Only started after being sat for a little while (2-3 weeks), the chain was a bit loose - 10mm out and now I’ve brought it back to the middle of the spec.

It seems like only does it it when I’m braking with the front or on a bumpy surface. I can push the chain up to touch the swing arm near the front sprocket. Also the top of the chain seems to run very close plastic on top of the swing arm. Chain seems ok and still near the new part of the indicator so not too worn.

Could it be something else or should I tighten it a little more?

How much chain slack when you're Sat on the bike?

It seems ok not too tight from what I can tell by checking alone.

It sounds like it’s hitting the plastic chain guides, rather than the swing arm itself if that’s anything of not. I actually think it could be the top part rattling as it’s only when I’m off the power/neutral clutch in.

Yes it is, that's what it's for. Are you running standard gearing?

Yes totally standard, I haven’t changed anything with the chain since I got the bike a few months ago. The chain hasn’t needed it until now.

I’ve had a look but struggled to find anything as most are for people with chains too loose/tight.

There was loads of gunk on the upper part of the chain guide which I’ve cleaned so the chain has a bit more clearance now. Also the rear wheel sits pretty close to the chain - is this normal? Alignment is ok I’ve checked that.

Some pics below.

N5jN06c.jpg

KQk4XFE.jpg

Kp2T4ea.jpg

Q3upJGh.jpg

Hi, Have you checked to see if there's a tight spot in chain! Have you a paddock stand you could put it on and turn the rear wheel by hand, and check the tension all the way round chain, it may well be a tight spot. and there shouldn't be any gap on top run along swinging arm, designed to run along guide.

On the VFR's they run 17 inches the full length of swingarm. As per photo, And yes some tyres are wider even if they say 180 on them. The Avon storm (which you have fitted going by picture) has such a deep tread it makes tyre slightly wider. When they first came out fitted them to a Moto Guzzi 850 breva, and they rubbed on the swingarm!!! soon wore down :oops:

But check for tight spot first.

SAM_1137.thumb.JPG.d0b3194d50e3c88b89761c8aaf0bd44b.JPG P.s chain rusty in photo, bikes been layed up fot 3 years, before someone says any think. :D

Ha just seen that Hoggs already posted.

Not been lowered as far as I know and I found the tightest point to tension the chain but it was all fairy similar hardly any difference at all. I checked about 4 spots to see if it was any different. I’ll get it back on the stand tomorrow though and give it another quick look if I’m still having the issues. There’s no gap on the top run or a very very small one if so, so that’s good. I’ve cleaned all the guides up so I can see if that helps.

I'm at a loss i'm pretty certain it's the chain on the top guide as I can recreate the sound by flicking the bottom of the chain, which lifts the upper part of the chain off the guide and back down onto it - albeit a fair bit quieter. This morning is was making the noise worse if anything, so cleaning it has only removed the gunk which was deadening the sound - however when the bike was warm it seemed to go away :scratch: .

When it was cold I could recreate the sound by riding forward slowly and braking sharply and about a second after it would make the slap sound, however it was making it over all bumps and quite regular.

Checked properly with some aid from the old man with me sat on and it was a bit tight. Around 15mm slack with my fat arse on it, I previously checked with the missus sat on who weighs half as much as me :lol:.

Now it sits at 25mm with me on it, gonna test it again when the bikes cool as the sound stops when the bikes warm up :? .

• 2 weeks later...

Chain was fine, always had been :oops:

Found the noise :oops:

A rouge bit of plastic had found its way into my helmet, through a vent (via my son I assume) and was rattling around. :mrgreen:

[mention]RantMachine[/mention] needs to see this so he can mock you

Chain was fine, always had been :oops:

Found the noise :oops:

A rouge bit of plastic had found its way into my helmet, through a vent (via my son I assume) and was rattling around. :mrgreen:

@RantMachine needs to see this so he can mock you

I don't think he needs to see this to be able to mock Beefy. Though my autocorrect wanted me to say kick rather than mock.