Yamaha YBR 125 2014 - How can I make the exhaust louder without sacrificing power?

Se_al

I own a Yamaha YBR125, 2014, and I guess its well known that its not the most powerful bike, however I'm making the most of it until I can upgrade.

I quite like the silence of the exhaust, I never really think about it when riding, so it's my question is going to sound contradictory, but is there any way I increase the volume of my exhaust without sacrificing performance? I think an aftermarket exhaust isn't worth the price in this situation.

I've heard of removing the baffle rings. Would this be my best option? Does anybody have a detailed explanation to do this on the YBR125? (2014 model, if that makes any difference).

Would there be any significant difference in power or performance?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thank you very much for your time!

Would there be any significant difference in power or performance?

Mmmmmmm. Nope.

Whipping the baffles out might change the power output a smidge but not much either way. Same goes for buying a fancy exhaust.

You may need to fiddle with the carb after you've done exhaust things too.

Edit: cancel that, I think it's injection...

The trouble with messing around with the standard exhaust is it's not designed to have the baffles removed......and you may have trouble when you come to sell the bike.....and, as [mention]Mr Fro[/mention] says, there's no significant performance gains to be had..... :wink:

From what I've seen on YBRs if you ride it in the winter the salt will rot some nice big holes in it then it will become much louder all by itself. Seriously, I wouldn't bother messing about with it . This bike is hopefully a stepping stone to bigger and better things so if you keep it as standard you will probably get a few extra quid for it.

You can look at taking the baffle out, which will certainly change the sound of the bike, and maybe add more decibel... But, on a 125? Wouldn't bother.

You could end up with slight running performance change, maybe for the worse. Don't know until you try it.

If it's too loud then you could end up given a ticking off by the plod, and made to get it fixed. Also, could fail an MOT, I would think.

I tried to get the baffle out of my stock exhaust for my Triumph, but failed. So, I ended up with a Blue Flame exhaust with the baffles already removed off an old bike. Then, I suffered some performance issues, and ended up messing around with the fuel settings to get it right, using TuneECU. Eventually, after six months of p*ssing about with it - it runs great! (Aside from the valves being too tight, as I type this).

It's loud enough for people to hear me approaching, but no totally deafening. When I pass the plod, I tend to clutch it to keep the revs low - just in case.

The guy who does my MOT doesn't care about it. He didn't even care that the horn didn't work. Still passed with no advisories.

Personally, I would wait until you pass your test and get a bigger bike before toying with the exhaust.