Turning over but won't start

IamIsaQ

Hello all was hoping I could get some help.

So after work i started my CBF 125 fine I traveled a little under a mile and it cut out. I tried to start it again and she just turned over. I began to push her fast down the road, hit the starter switch and she came to life. On the way home I noticed that the headlight would start to fade but when I added some throttle it would brighten up.

After arriving home I later went to try her again and the same thing happened and I noticed I could hear a clicking noise coming from a wire going in beside the battery which is housed in a plastic casing at the end.

Sorry this is a long read wanted to give as much info as possible.

Hope I made sense

Thanks

When You say "began to push her fast down the road, hit the starter switch and she came to life"

Do you mean you bump started it?

First things first you need to check you battery is holding charge....your going to need a multimeter to see what state the battery is in

So picked up a multimeter and the battery is absolutely fine it reads 12.4 and dosent drop below 10 when I go to start it. What I don't get is why it started in the morning again when I finished work and then when I jump started it.

Any ideas would be great

Thanks

Did you take a reading from the battery with the engine running too? ...(idle and revving)...because of your lights brightening when

revving ....try a reading with engine running and with everything on ....full beam , indicators brake light...everything you can turn on

while stationary.....(except horn)..take notice if the headlight dims again

What does the starter work like ? Is it spinning engine over fast in both situations ?

Or is it more sluggish than it has been in the past?

You said a clicking noise.......can you ID it as starter motor or starter solenoid clicking?

Is it clicking when hot & cold or just hot?

Thanks for reply.

I haven't been able to check with it idle as I can't start it. The multimeter read 12.40 and when I turned the engine over it dipped down to just over 10.

When I got it started yesterday after the jump start it seemed as if it would cut out if I let the revs drop to much but fortunately it never did and that's when I noticed the lights were also dimming and then brighten up when I applied throttled.

Next to the battery there is a group of cables going into a little red box thing (sorry) and when I push the start button a click comes from there, more specifically it comes from just above the box under the sleaving as I can feel the click when I push the start button.

The clicking is your solenoid ...good news is its supposed to do that ..... you noticing it suggests its not making the starter spin fast enough to cover the noise,

Im just trying to collect enough info BTW

So the starter is not spinning fast OR at all? Sluggish?

If Its not spinning ok ...Do you have jump leads and access to a car battery (or spare bike battery)?

DO NOT TRY TO JUMP THE BIKE FROM A CAR BATTERY WHEN THE CAR IS RUNNING it MUST not be running (it will blow your fuses)

We need to rule out Starting System/Solenoid and charging system and then wiring

Its probably as simple as a loose connection

Can You see any corrosion anywhere on ANY wires/cables?

Thank you very much for your reply and taking the time to help.

I figured the only way to give better info was to try bump start it again, I got it to start for about a second and it cuts out if I get running with her she stays kind of alive but that's it.

Think breakdown cover and a ride to where I purchased the bike.

Thank you very much for your reply and taking the time to help.

Think breakdown cover and a ride to where I purchased the bike.

Your Welcome, we can only try :D

So you havnt had bike long?

To me it sounds like it has a charge problem.... could be a simple wire loose (regardless of what the battery reading is)

But if you havnt had bike long take it back before you start to pull stuff off it

Again thanks for the advice and taking the time out to help.

I called the recovery and took it to shop.

When he turned the key he noticed something I hadn't, there was no sound of what I think is called the injector.

So maybe it's the fuel pump or something as simple as a blown fuse.

I will post here once I go back tomorrow and find out what the problem is.

Got it into workshop they striped her down and found that the fuel pump is completely gone :( lots of black nasty stuff coming out so basically it had a heart attack.

I have never let the fuel go to empty but maybe I should start using some cleaner fuel.

Good to know what the problem is though

Some bikes are prone to fuel pump gumming up...(Hayabusa 1999-2001 gums up)...its not anyones fault except manufacturer

Some petrols have fuel cleaner in them....Shell V Power Unleaded does & a bonus is the engine runs a bit smoother

How long have you had bike And Are they charging you for the work?