MT-03 Cutting Out

stavinor

Been having a small issue with my bike.

It starts fine however when I go on a small ride out and turn the bike off. When I turn it back on it sometimes wont start. I have to Pull the clutch in and open the throttle and it starts.

However today it was raining I just on my way back from its MOT and it cut out about 40 MPH. At the side of the road it was trying to start back up but when I put it into first gear it instantly died. Eventually the battery went and I had to push it home. I got the battery on charge now. When I start it it Idles for a few minuets then cuts out and wont start again.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

Does it start ok on a charged battery - then die again after a bit? If so, it could be the regulator not charging the battery. To find out, check voltage across battery with engine running - should be about 14 V.

Thank you for your reply.

I have it on charge at the moment after its reading 13.1 volts and 20 amps.

After an hour of charging I started the bike fine it ran for about 30 seconds then cut out and then wouldn't start. I then left it and tried it again it was the same scenario. However the second time it started then again but cut out after 5 seconds.

Someone suggested it could be the side stand sensor?

When charging a battery, max current should be capacity of battery in Ah/5 so on the charger, you should be reading about 3.5 A max. I suspect you've got an internal short - can you try blagging another battery from somewhere and seeing if that makes a difference?

Edited by Anonymous

Sorry that was when it was charging. When it runs it 14.1 volts and 83 amps.

Kind Regards

Scott

Supposed to disconnect the charger when youre running it!

Wot Joeman said! You probably need a new charger as well, now!