Jet Wash..... Lesson Learnt

elpash

Tuesday night I was riding around, and nipped to the shop, while there I decided to top my petrol up.

On my way out from paying I saw the bottom of my bike was covered in salt from the gritters, I looked across at the jet wash, I knew deep down it was wrong but I was going to be careful and just blast around the bottom of the frame....

While carefully jetting away I got a phone call, answered it and was just casually aiming the jet at my bike as I was talking, then I heard the beep go that I was running out of time (the jetwash..... I wasn't on a payphone) then without thinking, or looking where the jet was now aimed I hit the trigger...... straight at the air filter side of the engine. :crybaby:

I then rode the bike half a mile down the road to my house, with the bike giving me barely any power apart from intermittently jumping to life and lurching forward then back to little throttle response.

I left the bike over night and then last night decided to take it out for a test run see if it had dried out, it started up on the button with half choke, about a minute later I dropped the choke off and rode away. Bike seemed to be running fine, turned on to a dual carriageway, opened it up to 40(ish) then went round a roundabout and at the traffic lights the bike died.

I had to do the good old waddle run and jump start it. Then whenever I let the revs get down to Idle it would die, I then pulled over and let it cool down for a while, started it again and it kept dying straight away when I took my hand off the throttle, after a few attempts it would run at idle (rough), so I decided a good idea was to leave the choke on so revs wouldn't drop, as soon as I touched the choke the bike died.

Now, after that novel I am thinking I have either got water in my float, or the paper air filter is still soaked/fooked, anyone had something similar and could either re-assure me I am on the right track.... or it could be something worse?

To simplify...

Yamaha XVS 125 2500 miles.

Probable cause..

- blasted the engine with a jetwash.

Symptoms.

-bike dies at idle.

-full throttle it seems to run fine (maybe a little sluggish but barely noticeable)

-any amount of choke the engine won't even entertain running.

Bike has been left a few days, again started up fine, added some choke with revs and it stayed with choke on, took choke off and it died (could easily of been due to the cold), I've took the air filter off (but need to pick girlfriend up from work now so not opened it up) to double check for any water in the filter, but hoping it may of sorted its self with a ride out tonight..... fingers crossed

You where at a petrol station and you answered a call on your phone?

:shock:

You do know that there's no risk, that was just a myth.

http://www.ukpia.com/industry_issues/health-and-safety/mobile-phones-on-forecourts.aspx

That says low risk not no risk. Clearly that lot didn't rest a Note 7 :lol:

You where at a petrol station and you answered a call on your phone?

:shock:

You do know that there's no risk, that was just a myth.

http://www.ukpia.com/industry_issues/health-and-safety/mobile-phones-on-forecourts.aspx

A friend who works in the industry told me why they don't want you using mobiles near petrol pumps. Some of the older pumps used to be reset by the signal from a mobile so it was possible to fill up, switch on your mobile and clear the pump reading. It wasn't predictable but over the course of time enough people got free tanks of petrol that they got wind of what was happening.

I didn't believe him until he held his mobile next to the programmable transmitter I used for model aircraft. It held the flight controls for six models - until he put his mobile against it and wiped it clean. It became an issue with the 35Mhz systems and we weren't allowed mobiles on the flightline. I thought it was to avoid interference but it was really because if a mobile signal wiped a transmitter's memory any model controlled by that transmitter would crash. Apparently there were quite a few models destroyed until they found out why.