Heated grip install - YAMAHA MT-125

Tavernalighieri

Hey guys,

As we count down the days left in 2017 the temperature has started to drop too, so I've invested in some AME keis chicane heated grips (http://www.getgeared.co.uk/keis-chicane-heated-grips-7-8-black?gclid=CjwKCAiA3JrQBRBtEiwAN7cEGkNSypzbTYAB5Zj5B5KhEyjkef7j-5us3w_NyJd1OUlMNjH3HKWcbxoCFNIQAvD_BwE&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping_feed_gg17_228962170-18200103490).

Have been looking at install guides for a while now and also spoke to a gent from my go to Yamaha dealer. He's unable to fit them because they only fit genuine Yamaha parts but suggested wiring them into the ignition rather than the battery.

Wondered if anyone has fitted heated grips themselves. If so what method did you use and how difficult would you say it was?

Good to note I'm fairly handy and like problem solving, but have no experience with electronic installation.

Any tips would be much appreciated!

Wire them into the ignition, that way when the ignition is turned off the hested grips are off.

If you wire them direct to the battery, if you forget to turn them off, you will return ot a bike with a flat battery.

Just be carefull with the power required to run them.

Small bikes don't have much spare power available from the alternator, so the battery could end up flat.

Ideally you need to fit a relay that is switched by the ignition. Then use the relay to switch the heated grips by switching a feed from the battery. That way you do not run the risk of overloading the ignition switch. The relay can be hooked into the rear light circuit if the lights come on with the ignition.

Have a look at this thread. There is a wiring diagram if your not too sure of the wiring.

https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=64954&p=1011749&hilit=Heated+grips#p1011749

As jrh says you need a relay because of the load required for the grips will overwhelm an ignition feed.

Quite simple to do, find an ignition feed to use, wire to relay, wire perm live to relay from batt sort your earth and job done. Quick YouTube search will bring you the results you need

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have just made my own heated grips up.

You'll need a relay, which are only a few quid. Just a standard 4-pin 30A, whatever will do.

From top of my head :

Pin 30 - connect to your battery live.

Pin 87 - to the grips

Pin 85 - negative of whatever you are using as your switch (ignition) - stuck mine to negative on the battery

Pin 86 - switch live

I just popped the wire for 86 to ignition live. It's a fiddly job, but if you do it right, it's worth it. Your hands will thank you.

Be careful of the quality of the relay.....my neighbour was working on a project for his boat and was running a fog horn from his battery via a cheap Chinese relay, the horn was barely audible, but when it was hooked directly to the battery it rattled the windows......He bought a better quality relay, and hey presto, working fog horn...... :wink:

• 1 year later...