caliper bleed nipple thread (remedial)

How do

Have been rebuilding the rear caliper on the bandit. Have taken all apart, cleaned, polished the pistons, new seals etc. putting back together this afternoon and putting the new bleed nipples on. They screw in fine and tightened to 8nm torque but there is a bit of thread left outside of the caliper (so between the nipple and the caliper). Tried the old nipple and that was the same. Is this ok or should it screw all the way in with no thread, obviously don't want to force it but dont want it to leak either :scratch: . (yes I should have taken pictures of everything first).

cheers

Dominic

Nobody wants leaky nipples :P

Anyway... if the old nipple was the same, did it leak?

Old one didn't leak but can't remember if it was screwed further down, presumably it wasn't as it doesn't want to go further.. Was a week ago I took it off and apart plus my memory is like that of a goldfish.

There's normally a small amount of thread left otherwise nipple won't seat inside caliper, can you get pressure in system, i.e bleed system ok? Then that's fine. ok

Look at fronts see if thread sticking out.

Edited by oldgrump

Its fine. The bleed nipple seals by the pointed end locating into a cone in the caliper.

Just check for any leaks when, your done.

Cheers folks gonna reattach and fill/ bleed at the weekend. Good call on looking at the fronts, now why didn't I think of that, oh yeah I'm a djam fool. First time doing this but have really enjoyed it so far.

Its fine. The bleed nipple seals by the pointed end locating into a cone in the caliper.

Just check for any leaks when, your done.

Perfectly described , some visible thread is not an issue. Maybe someone fitted aftermarket nipples but chose the longer variety, like this..http://i.imgur.com/PKaQ2Rc.png Row 3 instead of row 4 .

Cheers folks gonna reattach and fill/ bleed at the weekend. Good call on looking at the fronts, now why didn't I think of that, oh yeah I'm a djam fool. First time doing this but have really enjoyed it so far.

Good Tip is after you bleed the air out is to tie back the brake lever to the bar (bungee/ziptie/what ever works) over night to let all the unseen air out

Works a treat

I've found the best way to do my brakes is using a jar and a piece of pipe with a little clamp. Gets all the air out of the lines and no messing around with squeezing and holding brakes etc.... just pump pump pump until it's done :)

I've found the best way to do my brakes is using a jar and a piece of pipe with a little clamp. Gets all the air out of the lines and no messing around with squeezing and holding brakes etc.... just pump pump pump until it's done :)

Then clamp the lever to the grip to let all the unseen air out overnight. Or with the bleed nipple closed , pump the lever repeatedly then release , wait a second then watch the tiny bubbles rising in the master cylinder . Repeat until no bubbles are visible. Then go and have a cup of tea, then see if you can squeeze any more tiny bubbles out . To be fair this would probably occur naturally when riding the bike. In my experience though, most brake issues are down to muck behind the seals and not air in the system.