Wiring lights next to radiator hoses?

bonio

Help please! I'm wiring up some auxiliary lights, and after about 10 hours of fiddling and the like, I've managed to get everything sorted out with the wires tidily away and not interfering with the movement of the bars or anything like that. But now I've noticed that I've managed to pass the wires just inches away from the hoses that connect the engine to the radiator. Is this a problem? The thing is I don't know if I can find a way to thread the wire up from that battery by another route :(

Advice?

Cheers :thumb:

Exactly why do YOU think its a problem ? As already stated, if the wires look like they are going to saw their way through the water pipes then sure , you will eventually have a problem. But you would be best able to determine wether this was the case by means of observation. If you are concerned about the radiated heat from the coolant hoses having an adverse effect on the wiring then bear in mind that the coolant should never exceed boiling point so no worries there . One thing for sure is that everything will work right up to the moment it all goes wrong . My concern would be with the ability of the bike's electrical system to cope with any overloading that might result from the addition of extra lights .

No, they're not going to rub; everything is nicely tied down and away from the suspension and the bars. I was concerned about the heat; I wasn't sure if the wiring loom would be ok up to 100C, but it sounds like that's not an issue - good news; thanks!

So an R 1200 GS has got a radiator ? Just goes to show what I know . I would have said that with two big heavily finned cylinders sticking out on either side that it was an air cooled bike. I'll have to have a closer look next time I see one. ...... OK, I get it now , strategic auxiliary cooling by the look of it. http://i.imgur.com/DJjfbHh.png

Why don't BMW fit adequate forward lighting as standard ?

Because then they can sell you upgrades for eleventy million pounds

Thought so , ker Ching!

Yes, it's got a rad. I reckon my GS is about the first ever to get a radiator leak.

The light on the GS is excellent. But my commute is now loads of miles on twisty unlit roads with no cats eyes and lots of unpredictable bends, and all that makes for a watertight excuse for buying some aux lights. It looks like a very fast Christmas tree now :thumb:

My knowledge of physics is not great but this thought has occurred to me. Do multiple light sources actually provide more illumination than one sufficiently brilliant one ?

My knowledge of physics is not great but this thought has occurred to me. Do multiple light sources actually provide more illumination than one sufficiently brilliant one ?

In theory, no, one bright source is just as good. But it's easier to add another light, as you can add a circuit in parallel, and so no one circuit has to carry a high current. This means you can use standard, cheaper components to make the lights. Another advantage is that if you have different lights you can easily point them in slightly different directions; to get the same effect from a single light you would need a more expensive custom lens.

So if one of these bikes equipped with half a dozen bright lights is coming towards another vehicle do they all have a dipped beam circuit?

Depends how they are aimed I suppose. Fog lights don't need to dip but I believe spots should only be on with main beam. Maybe

My Christmas tree set up dips. There's even software so you can set the brightness on dipped and main beam. Sadly no phone app - that would be cool.