Idling too low/cutting out?

TunnelEyes

After a long stretch garaged unintentionally, finally have the ER on road. Only thing is now I've started using it, it seems to be idling too low, cutting out and dying when stopped and when warming up after autochoke drops off. Obvious answer to this is adjust screw to bring tick over back up, but what could be the reason for this? Don't want to just ignore it if it could become an issue. I don't have much luck with bikes. I just want everything to be okay for once haha! I'm due some good luck... pleaseee.

Anyway, got off on a tangent, suggestions?

Hi, you say it's been sat around for a while, have you put fresh fuel in it? or you still using fuel that was in tank? Fuel in the uk has a shelf life and starts going off in a month which can cause problems.

Have you ridden far, sometimes if you take it out and do say 70miles it will start running better. And I believe the ER6 has injectors not carbs? so don't try stripping them. But try fresh fuel at first.

The idle speed on a fully warmed up engine should be 1300rpm< try adjusting the Tick over screw, to see if it stops the stalling. And at what rpm? If it still cuts out at say 1600rpm, then drain fuel out of tank and refill with fresh fuel. :D

So, you turn the key, press the starter, it warms up, and off you go.

Then, you slow down as you approach a set of red traffic lights, and you pull the clutch lever in.

The RPM drops below the usual idle, so much that it feels like it is attempting to stall.

Am I in the right situation?

I'm having similar trouble with mine (fuel injected - same as yours), except for the warming up part.

Mine will struggle to catch it's breath when starting, and takes a few goes to finally fire up. When it does, the RPM starts off very low, and builds up to warming up RPM.

With these kinds of issues, it can be a number of different reasons. I had a wealth of help from the guys in here (especially megawatt :thumb: ) and started off trouble shooting from the ground up.

By the way, my problem still isn't fixed, but I have done a few things first.

Because of the warming up part, I started with making sure that I had the right fuel map loaded on the bike (thanks tango :thumb: ), but you won't need to worry about this.

No fix, so I read up online, asked around here, and I considered that the valve clearances could be too tight. So, I checked them and they were fine... Although, I found another problem with the bike when doing this, but that is maybe going a bit :offtopic: . While I had the engine exposed, I could check the quality of the spark plugs, the air filter, and do some basic tests.

Fixed an oil leak, but problem continues... I rode it to work, and it continued cutting out, even with perfect valve clearances... Then, megawatt suggested that maybe the problem is fuel related.

I now have the fuel pump on the way and fingers crossed.

In your case, I am confident that the issue is fuel related.

You state:

After a long stretch garaged unintentionally, finally have the ER on road

If the bike had fuel left inside it, then it will develop problems, if left in excess of a month. The longer it is left, the greater the problems will develop.

I would do all of the basic checks, e.g. spark plugs, air filter, and put your multimeter to work, as a matter of course.

Then, I would be changing out the fuel with fresh stuff and checking the fuel pressure, (buy a gauge and youtube how to do it). Test resistance to your injectors, and consider that they might be clogged.

Work from there.

Yup ER6n

Got it set to about 1500/600 atm on warming up but seems to drop lower/fluctuate like it wants to cut out when coming to a stop

Ridden for about 180 miles since been sat

Hi you say it seems to drop lower/fluctuate when coming to stop, and when you actually stop, with clutch in does it cut-out or do the revs pick back up and tick over? at 1500/1600 rpm.

Thanks leener :D someone suggested Redex?

It warms up on autochoke which shuts off and revs drop off. At that point it seems to try stall with tick over any lower. It had a service just before I garaged it (plus only 1900 on the clock so hopefully nothing too wrong).

When I come to a stop with clutch pulled in they drop too low and it tries to stall/does stall if I don't catch it.

No probs :thumb: .

I'll be giving my little Triumph a sip of redex soon, just to treat it a little. It more than likely needs it.

I ran out of fuel several months ago - that's when my symptoms started.

When I had old (year old) fuel in my ZZR600, I ended up having to strip and clean out the carburetor, which luckily, us fuel injected sort don't have anymore. Good and bad points to both.

So when you picked it up from the service, was it running ok then? because you said tickover was set low? and in a service they would have set that?

It was serviced before I was bought it, thing is I ran it a few times in the meantime to get MOT, get restricted etc. and it was fine? Last time being restrictors about a month prior to riding properly.

You say restricted! Could it be the restrictors effecting the tickover or was it ok when you picked it up. If so just put some decent non supermarket fuel in it. if you go the redex route be careful, you can use too much which really screws things up. Had a MT-03 in couple weeks ago, Owner put half the bottle in!!!!!! Wondered why it stopped! :(

If you do try redex they do two types. 1 for carbs and 1 for fuel injection systems.

And as oldgrump says check the dosage required for the size of the tank.

It was okay when I picked it up but the ride home was v. Short.

Seems it's trying to die anywhere bellow 2000 ish when riding, back firing etc. And having to keep the revs up and constantly think about is a bit shit after a break for myself and finally being on something other than a 125

Back firing?

Sounds like it may well have dropped a cylinder!

You might want to take it to someone for them to have a look

It certainly shouldn't be trying to stall at anything below 2k

It should manage to keep going so low as 900rpm