Honda Hornet handlebar replacement problem!

kenrolli

Hi one and all, I know this has to be one of the most talked about things on many forums but I still cannot find an answer after many weeks of looking?

I have read lots of people change the original bars for Renthals without any problem but I must be the either missing something or am completely stupid!! (very possible for sure)

I bought the Renthal Gold coloured 'Road Bike Low' bars for my 2006 Hornet 600 and the problem I have is the difference in the length compared to the Honda bars are quite a bit more. In fact the Renthals are 737mm long and my cables on the clutch side are way too short to reach. I can get the front brake lever/kill switch etc to fit ok, well just about really, it's a bit taught but manageable BUT the clutch cable will not stretch far enough.

NOW I know I could cut the bars but that kinda defeats the whole object of getting the bars in the first place, so I am being driven crazy as to what to do for the best.

The only idea I can come up with is to remove the petrol tank and see if there's any way to re-route the offending cables to alleviate this problem, other than that I am stumped?

I can just hear some of you saying how easy this job is but really I would be so grateful for your welcome advice!

Thanks so much for reading this, cheers, Ken.

P.S. I have read that I may be able to get a longer clutch cable but that doesn't solve the electrical switch cable length??

Plenty of company's out there who will make longer control cable - hoses if needs be. Just be sure when you've completed the job that there's no tight wires, cables or hoses check the steering from lock to lock. I personally would not cut the new bars down, your defeating the object of the exercise, the wider the bars the more leverage you have.

Plenty of company's out there who will make longer control cable - hoses if needs be. Just be sure when you've completed the job that there's no tight wires, cables or hoses check the steering from lock to lock. I personally would not cut the new bars down, your defeating the object of the exercise, the wider the bars the more leverage you have.

Yes but what do you need leverage for ? The bars barely move at all when leaning into corners . Wide bars require more movement and can be quite awkward in very low speed manoeuvres . I've got renthals on one of my bikes and I keep meaning to saw a little bit off the ends to make them more comfortable. I've got standard cables, wiring and brake lines by the way plus half inch raisers.

Yep.....whip the tank off and see where the switchgear plugs into the loom and see if you can reroute the wiring from there to the bars.......or see if you can find switchgear from another bike that has the same connector, but the wiring is a bit longer...... 8-)

Thanks to all that replied, I did feel that I was looking at things in the wrong direction but now I feel that I am not. Awesome to have so many knowledgeable people available on this fab forum! Cheers guys and thanks for taking the time! :cheers:

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to update my post and to let you all know how grateful I am for all your input, cheers one and all!

I ended up getting my local motorbike wiring pro to take a look and he was certain that the job was fairly straightforward BUT as is normally my experience is wasn't to be. He had to remove the headlight assembly, clutch and brake levers so he could re-route the cables etc around the back of the forks as well as all the electrical switchgear, which would have beyond my patience level, all in all he took 2 1/2 hours which was only £50 and did a professional and neat job.

Needless to say I am so happy with the result and can carry on riding with my new gold bars into the sunset......well wind and rain really. :bike2:

Again cheers guys and I look forward to being of help if and when needed!! :cheers: