1998 zzr600

st3v38772

Hi all.. im having real issues with the carbs on my zzr600. I have ridden my bike now practically everyday for the last 2 yrs and its never let me down once. However 6 weeks ago i went to get on it for my usual journey to work and it just didnt want to know.. Ive put new plugs in, ht leads, oil and fuel filter which got it to start just once.. ive since dismantled my carbs and cleaned them .. its starts everytime but wont tick over at all.. it will run if i keep the revs on but eventually dies off.. im at the end of what i can do.. does anyone have the magic formular for my problem.

Steve

Hi guys.. thanks for your replies but i think ive already done what youve all suggested. Im thinking just getting some new carbs may be my only option now.. can anyone suggest a reputable breaker i could try.

There shouldn't be any need for new carbs!

If it's not running right then obviously you have a problem and carbs are fully rebuild able so no need to replace them

Raise the tick over as suggested if it only runs for a while and still cuts out then you have another problem!

It could be blocked fuel lines or tap not allowing enough fuel through

You could try a fuel level check but this only works if you have drain spouts on the bowls. Might be fiddly to do on the bike . Like this http://i.imgur.com/mVcBX6v.png

I dont think i have the option for this procedure

Shame , not all carbs allow you to do this . Nonetheless, you could still have a float valve not closing properly due to a fragment of dirt lodged behind the seat . The trouble with this situation is that if you remove the carbs and invert them the piece of dirt often vanishes back out of sight only to re appear when fuel flows again . A torch and a magnifying glass are useful here.

Hi again.. it seems i do have the ability to try this however after work the dam thing wouldnt even start again. I think i may have found a further issue. I wanted to put a picture up on here but i cant seem to do it. Anyway ive looked at the CDI unit tonight and it looks like theres all gravel melted into. Im thinking this is not normal.. any more ideas guys.

I wanted to put a picture up on here but i cant seem to do it.

What are you struggling with?

when you click on reply scroll down and you will see a part that says Attachments click on this and it gives you the option :)

Looks like it's smuggling stones under it's skin.

You can test them easily enough, using the Haynes Manual and the electrical tester. Just test the resistance between the pins. Look on YouTube - that should give you an idea.

I paid about £30 on fleabay when my CDI went on the old ZZR600.

So is this normal to look like this

Not normal at all, its encased in resin but yours seems to have melted . How on earth all the stones got mixed in I've no idea ! I've never seen anything like it.

Looks like it's smuggling stones under it's skin.

You can test them easily enough, using the Haynes Manual and the electrical tester. Just test the resistance between the pins. Look on YouTube - that should give you an idea.

I paid about £30 on fleabay when my CDI went on the old ZZR600.

I would add that this means testing for resistance using the detailed procedure in the Haynes manual.

Good idea to find out what caused it. Get your Haynes manual out and do the resistance test, and also might be a good idea to test your rectifier. And, check the wiring thoroughly from the battery. Something cooked it, I am guessing.

Yes something has gone badly wrong.. only a week before she died i had to get new start stop cluster and new horn, high beam etc cluster as the insides of them had manged to get burnt out.. some little gremlin is running riot around my bike. Shame as shes otherwise in really good condition.

1509605746081.thumb.jpg.557fdaa518c92f7eb05fa7c214317fef.jpg