Best cable lubricant

jamesd1981

cable as in clutch cable?

Not GT85 it will dry out fairly quickly

3 in 1 oil would be good no need for anything fancy

yes Stu, just to give the cables a a once over, recently got a new bike so giving it a real thorough going over ready for new season starting.

Already adjusted all the controls to fit me specifically, now want to lube and adjust the clutch as bar end adjuster is all the way out.

If I'm fettling a bike that's been a bit neglected I tend to use WD40 to flush out all the old oil and crap and then use a light oil such as 3 in 1 . I still use the old trick of forming a little funnel out of Blu tac around the end of the cable and hanging the cable up while the oil drains through. TBH I've also used plain engine oil if I cant be arsed to get 3 in 1 .

• 2 weeks later...

If the cables are Teflon lined then there's a good chance they're not supposed to see any oil at all as this gums them up! I find spraying some brake cleaner down them and then working the inner up and down a lot cleans them out a treat and they go back to being lovely and slippery. This seems to be mostly OE Honda cables but it's worth knowing if you lube a cable and find it has gone strangely sticky..

Just stick to a light oil then as I say no need for anything fancy that costs more!

I keep the old oil from engine oil changes and use that twice a year - Never had an issue.

:thumb:

That's a lot of oil to stick down the cables :booty: