Helicoil advice

Foxy Stoat seeks Pig

I really should complete one job at a time, anyway, while my pistons are soaking in some soapy liquid to try and free up the gunk I thought I would try and helicoil a bolt hole. When I praticised on some random metal away from the bike all went well. Now though i'm trying it for real and when screwing in the insert in the tang has broken off mid way through. So now I'm left with some thread hanging out of the hole that I cant screw in because there is no tang.

Any fix for this? hope im not the first to do this :D

Hi, I would remove heli-coil, by either unwinding it with a pair of pliers or carefully pulling it back out with pliers, but be carefull of threads. then run tap back down hole and try another heli-coil, if you have same problem, you may have two long a heli-coil for hole. so is the hole deep enough for heli-coil you have?

Hi as [mention]Stu[/mention] says the heli-coil is to long really, heli-coils are mark as 1, 1.5, 2D and upwards, looks like you need a 1D by the width of piece you trying to repair, so say you have a M8 heli-coil and piece is 8m/m thick, so 1D, 12m/m thick that is a 1.5D heli-coil, so the D is Depth x dia. You may be able to grind it off but I would remove and get right size :( . Whats the width of piece?

I may have one I can post to you if your not in a rush? I would have to check first I'm out at the min

Very kind offer Stu, just having a look on eBay to see how quickly I can get one, assuming I order the right size of course. :D

Well the offer is there of you need it providing I do have one which I'm positive I have as I had the same job as you last year

I may have one I can post to you if your not in a rush? I would have to check first I'm out at the min

Very kind offer Stu, just having a look on eBay to see how quickly I can get one, assuming I order the right size of course. :D

Well the offer is there of you need it providing I do have one which I'm positive I have as I had the same job as you last year

I doubt that it was the same job Stu. I would bet a good amount of money yours wasn't the clusterf**k mine has become. :D

looks like taking the car to work this week..... :(

Hi, just looked at what I've got, but only 10m/m are 1.5 thread which won't do :( otherwise might have dropped one up to you tomorrow, if mates want do breakfast at Popham. Sorry can't help.

Ah, Normally the Brake caliper bolts, when they are 10m/m are M10 x 1.25 thread, not M10 x 1.5 thread, because they normally go Metric fine for larger bolts. So you may well have the wrong kit anyway. I maybe wrong on this, having nothing in workshop at moment, it is the same bolt as used on the FJR1300, so if [mention]Stu[/mention] could help with thread pitch????????

Ah, Normally the Brake caliper bolts, when they are 10m/m are M10 x 1.25 thread, not M10 x 1.5 thread, because they normally go Metric fine for larger bolts. So you may well have the wrong kit anyway. I maybe wrong on this, having nothing in workshop at moment, it is the same bolt as used on the FJR1300, so if @Stu could help with thread pitch????????

Off the top of my head I can't remember the pitch and I'm not even sure if it says on the pack either! All I know is they fit mine :lol:

I'm out shopping with the wife at the min so can't check :roll:

But M10 x 1.25 seems to ring a bell

You can shorten the coil by snipping one thread off at a time with some decent side cutters.

You should be able to work out how long you need by measuring the thickness of the fork leg and calculating how many pitches there are.

My advice about removing stuck inserts is not to pull out with pliers as you can remove some of the thread aswell.

Carefully unwind the insert with pliers or you can buy a special tool which is a v shaped blade which digs into the insert when turned anti clockwise.